• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does there come 4 Cors AMD-CPU over 965?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waly

Hello,

does there come higher than 4 Cors AMD-CPU over Pe. II X4 965? Or this the 965 the last fastest with 4 cors?

netmask

The PII 965 is the fastest AMD quad core cpu. If that is what you are asking here :)

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
AMD Only has 4 cores at the moment with their Phenom II CPUs. In Q2/Q3 of 010, we will see the Phenom II X6 Thuban. This will be the same as the X4 but with two more cores.

Wayward_Son

Will Thuban require a new socket/mobo or will it rmain AM3? The reason I ask is that I just (two nights ago) pulled the trigger on an AM3 board and a PII 955BE. It would be nice to be able to upgrade to six cores using the same motherboard.

Dolk

Its an AM3 CPU, but I'm not sure if its backwards compatible. It is based on the k10 architecture. The first one will be a 2.8ghz C3 if I'm not mistaken.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Will Thuban require a new socket/mobo or will it rmain AM3? The reason I ask is that I just (two nights ago) pulled the trigger on an AM3 board and a PII 955BE. It would be nice to be able to upgrade to six cores using the same motherboard.

It is AM3, according to the as-yet unproven sources.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
BIOS upgrade takes 3 minutes of your life at most. I would be pleased as pie for just that...

Dolk

There shouldn't be a need for a BIOS update. Will there be one? Yes, but only for 100% compatability. You should still be able to boot up with it on an old BIOS (or one that works with the Phenom II).

BenF

I think he was asking if there was going to be a faster quad core released. Something like a X4 975BE. I would also like to know the answer to this. I'm thinking after Christmas I'll be tempted to upgrade my cpu to something faster. I don't have a need for a faster cpu so I plan on waiting for the next one released.

QuietIce

Disabled
I think he was asking if there was going to be a faster quad core released. Something like a X4 975BE. I would also like to know the answer to this. I'm thinking after Christmas I'll be tempted to upgrade my cpu to something faster. I don't have a need for a faster cpu so I plan on waiting for the next one released.
Even if there is a faster quad released it probably won't OC any better than the 965 (or 955s produced before the 965 binning started for that matter) ...

OP
W

Waly

Hi,

I mean will be faster 4X Cors than X4 965 in future released? Or the next are tuban 6x only?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Your question appears to be answered by Evil.

I do not believe there are any plans to release new chips before the 6 core. 965 is a waste of money. Get the 955.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Hi,

I mean will be faster 4X Cors than X4 965 in future released? Or the next are tuban 6x only?

If there is a 975 the only reason to buy it is if you don't OC. That is the way I see it is until there is a new stepping.

Last edited: