• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does thermal compound have a shelf life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CmdrBond

Registered
Does thermal compound have a shelf life :confused:

I ask this because I am about to do some work on my machine, and found a 5 year old tube of AS5. Would this be OK to use, or should I buy fresh?

antipesto93

wow as5 has been around for over 5 years!
anyway - i have a tube of mx-2 and it says it lasts 8 years once open/applied....so im guessing it will last well over 5 years - especially if never opened

PeterGarcia30

as long as it was sealed properly when last used it should be fine if you want to be sure ( and there's plenty of it) dab a little out on your finger and check the consistency it should NOT feel hard or brittle

bing

Low Profile Senior
I store all my tims sealed in air tight plastic box with the tip pointing downward, still have two tubes the oldest AS 1 (1st gen), and still using it on my wifey & daughter's non OC rig and other electronic components on HS without any problem. :)

Not exactly remember when did I buy it, prolly close to 10 years old.

Pic of my 'antique' TIM, and look the one with sealed cling wrap, mint condition. LOL :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
C

CmdrBond

Registered
well it was on its side with the rubber cap and nothing else - wet and pasty (thick) but not hard - good to go?

OP
C

CmdrBond

Registered
I will come back to this thread in about a week or 2 - going to the maintenance when I get my new case.

For reference, my P4 3.0E (Prescott) is currently idling at 50oC (HOT) According to ABIT-EQ (Board is an ABIT IC7-MAX-3), Heatsink is an XP-90c.

Sys temp - 32
PWM temp - 37
CPU temp - 50

(Yes I know the system is old - I wanted to u/g to an i7 or PII but the missus won't let me. Was enough to persuade her to let me get a new case, the rest will come in time :( )

mxthunder

Man, I go through about 5 tubes a week, its hard to imagine anyone having a tube around for that long, but thats cool none the less.
I think as long as it seems that its a consistent mixture and not watery, it should be fine.
I did pull out a new tube of Chillfactor 3 that was totally watery and messy yesterday. Kinda ****ed me off

Iron Hawk

Man, I go through about 5 tubes a week, its hard to imagine anyone having a tube around for that long, but thats cool none the less.
I think as long as it seems that its a consistent mixture and not watery, it should be fine.
I did pull out a new tube of Chillfactor 3 that was totally watery and messy yesterday. Kinda ****ed me off

Do you build computers for a living? Or are you constantly reconfiguring your system? Or are you using WAY too much thermal interface material? Less is More.

baris_

Oh my.. 5 tubes a week? I've had one in me life.

OP
C

CmdrBond

Registered

Do you build computers for a living? Or are you constantly reconfiguring your system? Or are you using WAY too much thermal interface material? Less is More.

I suggest mxthunder removes his heatsink and checks the compound...

If it is white with red and blue stripes it's toothpaste - would explain the amount of compound he gets through :cool: