• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this CPU have a locked or unlocked multiplier x5687

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have a chance to snag an intel xeon x5687 CPU for cheap im talking 50$ and i need to know if the multiplier on this cpu is locked or unlocked? reason im asking is my mobo/bios doesnt allow me to adjust the BLCK of the cpu so i can only increase or decrease the multiplier is this cpu unlocked

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Locked multi, yep. YOu need an 'extreme' chip from that socket to have an unlocked processor.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
with lga1366 cpus though you can increase the blck like the older 775's and the fsb. only past that on the second gens is when you really need a unlocked multi for overlocking. My Asus RIIG has a X5660 stock 2.8ghz oc to 3.6ghz right now, the only limit in your overclocking will be chip/ram/cooling.

OP
K

kaitlin4599

sadly i cant find any mobo's that support my current cpu as well as my ecc memory

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
It's highly likely your BIOS won't allow you to adjust multiplier over stock, even if you get an Extreme CPU, since it is already locked down.

As I've stated before, by the time you buy a motherboard you can overclock with on this platform you're well on the way to a used 4690K combo...
And the Haswell combo would be MUCH faster while using less power.

OP
K

kaitlin4599

ECC is kinda a requirement because im on a fixed budget and i kinda dont wanna give up my 16gigs of ECC ram that im using with my current setup i already have a xeon w3680 cpu as well as 16 gigs of ecc ram just need a good overclocking mobo

ATMINSIDE

Do you have $150+ available for a motherboard then?
Because X58 boards, especially those supporting ECC, are easily bringing $150 these days...

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
$200 there... sell the rest of your current PC (mobo, CPU, memory)... there is at least another $100... so close to a modern rig... sooooooooooooooooo close.

ATMINSIDE

$200 there... sell the rest of your current PC (mobo, CPU, memory)... there is at least another $100... so close to a modern rig... sooooooooooooooooo close.

This. You'll get much better performance, lower power draw, easier to find parts, etc...

not sure its DDR3 ecc ram for an HP z400 pc

You need to know before buying a board, it matters.

ATMINSIDE

There is a little hope then...
My suggestion would be to look for a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, but a used one won't be found much (if any) under $200.

With that kind of money you are going to be leaps and bounds better with a last-gen i5...
A lot of cases your performance would double by moving to a 4690K...