• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound like a failing hdd? will the platter swap work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syndicate

74g 10k raptor ( older version )

computer is same as below , minus the pelt , i was running 1 hydro 120mm fan for the rad , 1 12v DD pump ( older block pump ) . I noticed if i hooked up an extra fan my computer had booting issues , computer is not oc'd

One day while playing music off of a random site ( might of been myspace ) , Music kept playing and cursor was moving but nothing was happening. eventually music did an odd stutter and computer was locked besides cursor being able too move.

So I hold in the power button and it does it again , I hear an odd clink. out of fustration I resume my "work" the next day so I thought. I got into windows a couple times and after about 10 minutes i heard the HDD as if it was recovering from sleep mode , then just gave up trying.

next day I boot up and after the IRQ screen , just blackness . monitor didnt even switch to sleep , light was green the whole time.

Ok , So I try again and right after my bios splash screen I get some weird error about raid configuration ( i have no raid set up ) computer auto reboots and it keeps happening. I power it off , and back on smashing my del key , finally I get into the bios and no hdd's are detected , Regardless of what sata connection I was on no hdd was found , YET everytime I went to "detect" the connection the drive was on there is a good 40 second pause while the others say none detected.

Maybe a power issue , I unhook the 120mm fan , change sata ports and go into windows , all is fine besides my rising temps. it locks once more but at least im in windows.

I decide too hook the fan back up and wonderfully I get into windows and im problem free for a week , so i do all the smart tests , wd tests , everything checks out perfectly with the drive. couple days later i get a nvidia message about having to underclock my gpu due too power reasons.

It eventually decided too lock again a few days later , this time right before the irq usage screen it gives me a SYSTEM BOOT DISK FAILURE or some crap , i do not even hear the drive on when I power up the computer.

Only issue prior too this was my radiator popping a line , thus shutting off the computer due too heat issues , about 3 boots in a row and not untill my sock was wet did i notice the issue. No water had gotten on the components since the pump and radiator are outside the computer.

What does this issue sound like too you? and to get back what I have on that drive will a platter swap work with a cheapo hdd and just taking the ones out of the raptor and putting them in?

I could RMA my raptor through WD but personally if this is an hdd issue I do not even want too purchase another drive from them and will go with a seagate cuda. The information on the drive is of more value than the drive itself. I am purchasing a new set up here shortly , and would be nice to save me 75-200 bucks on a hdd if people here think it could be another issue aside from the raptor.

I have noticed my rails jump around at idle according to smart guardian by .15

First off, try the hdd in another machine as a secondary drive, you'll probably be able to get hte data back, changing platters is an absolute last resort, it even comes after swapping the drive electronics, and it has to be exactly the same hdd even as far down as the batch (I think). It sounds like the prob might be youre power supply, because of the nvidia msg and when you disconnected that fan and it work (a bit).

Back