• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound like a PSU problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darrin

Registered
I replace my PS with one from Best Buy (300W Antec) after my old one fried.

It did not boot after that and I've swapped motherboards, CPU's, memory, video cards, and even the case and all it will do it spin up the hard drive and turn on the CD-ROM light. It will not get the floppy to seek, but the fans will turn. I just can't get into the BIOS (no signal from the video card BTW or so my monitor tells me).

Since I have replaced everything else, is it possible/likely that the 5V side of the PSU is bad (the fans work remember)?

Thanks.

stool

It sounds more like a mobo or CPU problem. How are you sure the old PSU fried up, or what led you to think it did?

OP
D

darrin

Registered
The old PSU smoked and sparked, that is why I think it went bad. That and the fact that nothing would come on until I bought the new PSU. Now at least the fans start and the hard drive spins up.

Note that I tested the first CPU in another machine and it worked fine. The new CPU is brand new. It could be bad but I really doubt it. This is the THIRD motherboard and second CPU with exactly the same symptoms.

Everything has been swapped out (case, memory, video card, CPU, motherboard) except the new power supply, hard drive, CD-ROM and floppy.

I don't have a volt meter.

Last edited:

Hotsauce

except the new power supply, hard drive, CD-ROM and floppy.

Does this mean the hd, cd-rom and floppy are from the old sys?

If so, leave them out of the picture and see if anything changes. Then plug just the hd back in and see what happens.

If nothing happens, try the floppy, etc... I'm guessing you have a floppy boot disk.

OP
D

darrin

Registered
I just got back from Best Buy.

It was the power supply all right.

Replaced it with an Antec 350.