• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this stutter/framespikes looks like it s a RAM problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xubeiga

Registered
Hello everyone!

so lately i've been trying to discover what is happening on my PC...what is causing me this damn stutters/frame spikes in games and i am running out of ideas.

first of all, my specs:
i5 8600k 4.7ghz
Rx Vega 56 Nitro+ OC'd
Trident Z 16 GB Ram DDR4 on 3200mhz (XMP activated)
EVGA 650GQ

i recorded some videos so you guys can see better what happens here.
i've been told that this looks a RAM problem, but is it ?

I've already tried some things:
Clean install windows
removed cpu, gpu and ram overclocks (all at once and each at a time)
reinstalled game on different hard drives
tested hard drives
tested both rams sticks (even with 1 stick or 2 and different slots, i didnt see a difference)

Here are some videos to show what happens:

here you can see a frame spikes on Detroit Become Human in 00:02, 00:10 and the worst one in 00:17

here you can see a frame spikes on Detroit Become Human in 00:09 seconds and another in 00:12

here you can see frame spikes on Detroit Become Human in 00:03 and 00:13

here you can see fps drops on Ori and the will of the wisps in 00:05

here you can see fps drops on Ori and the will of the wisps 00:02

i've been told to mess with vccio and vccsa and i kinda did (i changed the RAM voltage to 1.4v, changed VCCIO to 1.25v and VCCSA to 1.30v.) but i still got the problem in both games.

anyone got a clue?

Last edited:
Any WHEA "corrected" errors in the event log?

Lags with non-fatal WHEAs, are bad news!

i'm sorry, but i didnt understand so well what you said
you want me to look at event viewer if there is any WHEA corrected errors?
i took a look and didnt find any but i dont know if i'm searching the right way

i'm sorry, but i didnt understand so well what you said
you want me to look at event viewer if there is any WHEA corrected errors?
i took a look and didnt find any but i dont know if i'm searching the right way

OK, so you checked. I do know that it's very bad to get any of those, even with no crash. It's very bad, if you start to get "corrected machine check" or similar errors in the event log. That could mean a PCI-E bus problem.

i recorded new video with frametime graphic:

you can see it happens in same places, and i dont know if its normal all that "little" spikes all the time

is there a software i could use that can help me determine what specific hardware part is faulty or there isnt?

RAM is not causing anything like that unless it's faulty and any errors have to be corrected (in short the same process is repeated). When RAM is faulty then in 99.5% of cases, games would crash or Windows will stop at blue screen error.
If RAM works without issues then it doesn't matter if it's slow or fast, all data is being loaded via a large cache which is causing that you can't see any delays. More or less FPS, maybe, but not stutters/spikes as described. Also, DDR4-3200 isn't really slow.
I would check if there is any newer graphics card BIOS, new or old drivers, or chipset drivers. It seems more like something with a graphics card, software, or mentioned PCIe bus.

RAM is not causing anything like that unless it's faulty and any errors have to be corrected (in short the same process is repeated). When RAM is faulty then in 99.5% of cases, games would crash or Windows will stop at blue screen error.
If RAM works without issues then it doesn't matter if it's slow or fast, all data is being loaded via a large cache which is causing that you can't see any delays. More or less FPS, maybe, but not stutters/spikes as described. Also, DDR4-3200 isn't really slow.
I would check if there is any newer graphics card BIOS, new or old drivers, or chipset drivers. It seems more like something with a graphics card, software, or mentioned PCIe bus.

thank you for your reply!
i dont have any bsod or game crashes...is there a way to test the RAMS to be sure or maybe there is no need for it? i did some tests with the ram, like changing slots, using only 1 stick, etc...but i didnt use a different stick of ram also.
do you know if i can use any software to check what hardware might be faulty?
i used Heaven Engine to test GPU and i had a great result tho, only had few stutters but i think that's normal on the test from what ive read

another question: do you think a HDD that is not used for the OS and for storing games but only for random files, could be causing any of this?
cause i didnt do any test with it unplugged thinking that it has no reason to be the issue

Look at task manager.. when you see the in-game hitch, does HDD activity blip with it?

Hey!
Where can i actually see activity by disks?
all i can see is how many % of usage an app has of disk usage but i could find where to check the usage by the disks
if it worth to mention, in this HDD i don't have any apps installed. Its an HDD just to store random videos, photos, and the .exe of any program i would want to install, but the installation itself its always on the SSD 1 which has OS and if it is a game then on SSD 2

Last edited:
Did you bring up the task manager? It lists all HDDs individually... The number you see on the left isn't capacity... its USE as in it is being read/written from. You can see this because surely the value is moving around and your space clearly doesn't do that. ;)

Did you bring up the task manager? It lists all HDDs individually... The number you see on the left isn't capacity... its USE as in it is being read/written from. You can see this because surely the value is moving around and your space clearly doesn't do that. ;)

to me it looks like this!
Name/Status/CPU/Memory/Disk/Network/GPU/GPU Mechanism/Energy/Trend(?)

In the disk column it shows its % of usage tho
am i in the right place?
i dont see any numbers in left

EDIT: Okay, i'm dumb.
It's on the Performance tab.
I found it, will check it later :temper:

i took a look and the HDD is always on 0%

guys, i've recorded this video where the frametime spikes a lot and also showing the Afterburner infos.
by looking at the temps/usages is there a way to determine what is probably causing this?
does anything looks suspicious?

Back