• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does XFX really have 2 versions of the 5770?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cleaner450

I bought a 5770 XFX and I am thinking of returning it and going with a different brand. I have read that XFX has come out with 2 versions of the 5770 that you would never know if you got the good one or the not so good one util you looked at the board. XCan someone tell me if this is true and if I should be looking at something else like a Saphire?

Also what is Juniper XT? I am looking for a good clocking card.

Last edited:

OCed_5150

I bought a 5770 XFX and I am thinking of returning it and going with a different brand. I have read that XFX has come out with 2 versions of the 5770 that you would never know if you got the good one or the not so good one util you looked at the board. XCan someone tell me if this is true and if I should be looking at something else like a Saphire?

Also what is Juniper XT? I am looking for a good clocking card.

Some of XFX and Sapphire HD 5770's shipped with a BIOS that disables 80 shaders. A new BIOS flash fixed the issues, so I heard.

Juniper XT is a Radeon HD 5770 ( has 800 Stream Processing Units ) and Juniper LE is Radeon HD 5750 ( has 720 Stream Processing Units ).

There will be new HD 5770's coming out in the next few weeks that have higher clock speeds and better heatsinks.

Last edited:

psionic98

I thought the teardrop heatsinks are the "new" ones for most 57xx series now

also, what kind of clocks.. or are they supposed to be their respective factory OC editions?

OCed_5150

I thought the teardrop heatsinks are the "new" ones for most 57xx series now

also, what kind of clocks.. or are they supposed to be their respective factory OC editions?

Im trying to figure out where I read about these newer 5770's so I can post that info I seen last week. It may have been older information that I read so I might have created some confusion. My bad.

Anyway:

The "egg" cooler shroud ones should be using the newer copper heatpipe design vs the older aluminum fin.

One that is available now that's overclocked:

MSI R5770-PM2D1G OC/Seaweed Radeon HD 5770 this is using the newer heatpipe heatsink and clocked at 875 core.

HIS Releases HD 5770 Fan Graphics Card but this is using stock speeds.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I asked identical question,

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630999

It appears that the 5850 outperforms the 5750 pretty well for the price difference. Twice the GPU score in Vantage.

You could get pair of 5750 in Crossfire to get close to 5850 but you'd be wasting lots of power to run 2 cards and you won't have much of a future upgrade. Get a single 5850 and you'll get room to add second later if your board and your wallet supports it.

OP
cleaner450

cleaner450

What do you all think about the 5770 no 5750 VS the 5850?? Is the 5850 worth the extra 120 or so dollars??? Anyone?

Chixofnix

[EDIT: Apologies if this response reads in a harsh/curt tone - it wasn't intended that way ;)...]

What do you all think about the 5770 no 5750 VS the 5850??

Proof your questions before posting. I'm going to guess you're asking about how the 5750 stacks up against both the 5770 and/or 5850.

To that end, either listen to the answer you got immediately above which sums the general performance difference up well, or get the full response by reading the two following articles:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658

Both include thorough discussion of the 5770 and many charts illustrating the raw fps difference between the three cards you're asking about for various applications.

Is the 5850 worth the extra 120 or so dollars??? Anyone?

Check yourself here - you're asking for a subjective opinion here which is not going to help you make an objective decision based on your personal subjective/objective priorities.

Purchasing a video card is best done the other way around. Determine your budget range first, then decide on the best bang:buck card within that range. If you let the myriad of hardware options out there determine your budget, you'll run around in circles trying to gather everyone's opinion of what is a good value. Personally, I recently upgraded and determined from the outset that a significant upgrade was worth $175 at most to me. That simply ruled out the 5850 and I determined the 5770 to be the best value for my budget against everything else out there.

I'd strongly suggest you start over, ignore everything you've read thus far, and determine for yourself how much you're comfy spending. Then you'll be poised to ask a relatively simple, objective, and easy to answer question: "What is the best card I can get for $XXX?"

Last edited:

psionic98

the 5850 is worth it if you can afford it.. upgrading in the future would be as easy as getting a 2nd 5850.. if you went 2x 5770 you're stuck trying to sell them in order to get something else later.. as stated above.. its opinionated, but if i had the cash I would have much rather gotten the 5850 at the time i got my 5770

my 5770 is ASUS and is the egg/teardrop shaped hsf with copper heatpipes.. with the system in my signature i get just under 20k pts in 3dmark06..

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
lol chix...wow.

Anyway, I dont like SLI or Crossfire when a single card can do that job. I would say get yourself a 5850 and enjoy. It will romp on 1920x1200 with ease for any game out really. If you for some reason need more horsepower in a year, you have the choice to Crossfire, or sell it and get another single card that suits your needs.

Hey Zeus

I have this one... and it has no issues overclocking on stock volts.

XFX-HD-5770.jpg

5770.jpg

psionic98

well over a 8800 yeah its a screamer :p

guess i should try bumping up my mem clocks if you're doing 1400+ on stock volts and im running a smidge higher volts to keep a 1k/1375 going.. HMMM

Hey Zeus

well over a 8800 yeah its a screamer :p

guess i should try bumping up my mem clocks if you're doing 1400+ on stock volts and im running a smidge higher volts to keep a 1k/1375 going.. HMMM

I figured it out. 1Ghz Core, 1.44Ghz M with stock volts baby

Last edited:

Chixofnix

lol chix...wow.

Anyway, I dont like SLI or Crossfire when a single card can do that job. I would say get yourself a 5850 and enjoy. It will romp on 1920x1200 with ease for any game out really. If you for some reason need more horsepower in a year, you have the choice to Crossfire, or sell it and get another single card that suits your needs.

Oops... that reads harsh now that I look at it again huh? Threw an edit line at the beginning of that post to clarify my friendly intent ;).

To round out, I agree entirely - if it's within the budget, the 5850 is an awesome card to have. If crossfired 5770's are in the budget range however, it's worth noting (as is shown in the articles linked above), that 2x5770's are a definite tier beyond a single 5850 in performance.

IMHO, someone blowing that much on their GPU solution for today's games probably has the cash to consider (or may already have) a 3x PCIe motherboard and a beefy PSU allowing for 3-way 5770 crossfire. So it's not entirely correct to say the 2x5770 route is not without any post-crossfire upgrade paths.

I'm guessing however that folks who find value in achieving stratospheric framerates in today's most demanding games/resolutions/settings can and probably will ignore anything I say regarding the economics of component budgeting :eek:. Power to ya - keep the economy moving :D!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Scaling sucks after 2 cards though. I guess I should qualify in saying that its not for me. I want 100% of any card's performance all the time. With Crossfire/SLI thats 0-80% scaling and not wroth my money.

Dont 2 5770's cost more than a 5850 anyway? I dont know. Obviously I dont like SLI/Crossfire.

Chixofnix

Scaling sucks after 2 cards though. I guess I should qualify in saying that its not for me. I want 100% of any card's performance all the time. With Crossfire/SLI thats 0-80% scaling and not wroth my money.

Dont 2 5770's cost more than a 5850 anyway? I dont know. Obviously I dont like SLI/Crossfire.

You put it well. If you hate the concept of a part not producing what it's capable of alone, then Crossfire/SLI will never be a solution you'll consider. Makes things simpler for ya!

That said, 2x5770's is a incremental amount more expensive than a single 5850, but does produce a tier of performance beyond a single 5850 in turn. If budget allows, and you want more oomph than a single 5850 can deliver, then 2x 5770's is the next step up in terms of performance and price - same tier as GTX 295 and the 5870, but lower in price than either of those two options (at least last time I checked).

Also, SLI/Crossfire doesn't uniformly scale worse after 2 cards. Check the FarCry numbers in the 3x 5770 article I linked above. The third card adds more FPS than the second. It's application-dependant.

The (rough) rule of thumb currently in my head for 2-card SLI/crossfire is you can guess the performance increase for any given setup/application by multiplying your fps-of-interest by 1.6. I only use that when I don't have the time/ability to look up a review actually measuring though. The scaling can be better or worse.

Last edited: