• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doesn't restart properly after overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ellisbodds

Registered
Basically I have overclocked my CPU to 2.66GHz and now when I restart my computer it goes like this:

Windows shuts down
Computer appears to be off for about 3 seconds (black screen no fans etc.)(?)
After 3 seconds computer boots up as if I just pressed switched on (not restarted)

BEFORE overclocking it was like this:

Windows shuts down
Computer goes straight to loading Windows screen

This is how it has always been on all of the computers I have ever owned / used (except Windows 95 etc. lol). There is also another problem which is that when I boot up my computer the fans seem to test for longer (before I overclocked then the CPU and GPU fans would both go to 100% for a few seconds before quieting down back to normal speeds). They perform that test or whatever for about twice the time now, which is really annoying considering how loud my GPU fan is.

Thanks in advance for your help, specs:

Core 2 Duo E6400
4GB DDR2 800MHz
MSI P35 (MS-7392)

elliotuk

Registered
have you ensured that the overclock is stable with a stress test program? And have you put your settings back to default and tried again to see if it restarts normally? Sounds like its unstable to me.

OP
E

ellisbodds

Registered
It restarts normally with the settings back to normal and temps are fine (around 35C idle and 55C load). I searched for "stress testing program" and found "Intel Burn Test" which I downloaded and ran several times. Everything appeared to be fine and the temps went up to 55C.

EDIT: Changed temperatures, got them wrong.

Last edited:

DocClock aka MadClocker

Some P35 chipset boards will restart on their own and revert to defaults if the parameters are not correct..so you hit the switch, and you hear the normal startup process and then you hear it go silent and that is when it is rebooting and reverting...at least that is the way mine did when I took it too far...it will also make a different beep during startup. With this board, even changing a hdd can make the beep code different...but your board is a diff brand, so your experience may be a little different than mine. If you have "CPU-Z" you can see what your cpu is doing after the bootup.
I would bet that your board reverted to default values which is why the delay in starting, and CPU-Z would tell you that.
If the board DID revert, then you need to tweek a few things in the setup program, like maybe the north bridge volts, the vcore, etc.
If you have not read it yet, I highly recomend the overclocking the C2Q sticky link

It has helped a few here to reach CPU nirvana :)

OP
E

ellisbodds

Registered
But the thing is, my PC has been working for about 3 hours since overclocking... It just restarts in a different way. It's really hard to explain what I mean. Basically, the PC works fine when I have it overclocked but it just sort of "pauses" when restarting and it turns on the fans for longer when booting up. Apart from those two things, it works FINE. I have CPU-Z, it's a good little program. It says that my CPU speed is 1992MHz (X6 multiplier). When I put it under load it says the full 2667MHz (X8). Thing is, I disabled Intel SpeedStep, so I don't know what's throttling the speed.

OP
E

ellisbodds

Registered
When I click restart my PC usually shuts down and then goes straight to turning back on without any real delay. Now, it turns off for a couple of seconds before booting up again. If I can be bothered I'll put a video on YouTube.

OP
E

ellisbodds

Registered
It's just noisy and takes longer to startup and restart. I was hoping somebody could help me because I wondered if it was unstable or something.

tool_462

The classic Intel chipset "dual boot" issue. Not really an issue, just annoying. Hundreds of boards do it, a few have implemented something to "fix" it but not really a big deal.

An example of a board that has it "fixed":

Check out the top left corner of the box:

djrp4501nz2.jpg

OP
E

ellisbodds

Registered
That's interesting, tool. Seems like there is no fix. Just makes it noisy for that extra bit longer when booting up in the middle of the night :p. And I think the restart only happens when you use the restart button on the case, but I swear it happened once when I clicked on restart. Oh well, unless somebody out there has a fix for this that doesn't involve buying a new motherboard, looks like I'll have to live with it. Thanks for the help anyway everyone.

P.S. Check out my YouTube video too.