• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Domain Name and Home Hosting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

So I've been diligently studying the ins and outs of DNS (lethargically watching a couple of youtube videos) and have come to the shaky conclusion that I would be able to somehow link a domain name I currently own to a storage space on my own network.

Have any of you had experience with hosting a website at home or independently? What would be the advantage to hosting on my own hardware as oppose to some company's?

Thanks.

deed

Have any of you had experience with hosting a website at home or independently? What would be the advantage to hosting on my own hardware as oppose to some company's?

Thanks.

Yes I have done this for awhile... Hosting your own hardware can be in general unreliable... No backup generators slow upload speed. ( the average users upload speed is less then 10mbps datacenters can get over 100mbps constantly)

But hosting At home I use xamp which is pretty straight forword and requires just about no work. I would reccomend mddhosting though as I was with them for awhile and there was minimal downtime or hardware failures but had to move after my needs went from a shared host to a cloud dedicated server configuration.