• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Done with Newegg.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I order from Amazon, and they >Have the item warehoused in my state>I pay sales tax
>Ship the item from their warehouse in another state>I don't pay sales tax
>Item is shipped by a third party vendor in my state>I pay sales tax
>Item is shipped by a third party vendor not in my state>I don't pay sales tax

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
You know what's really weird? I buy from newegg and don't get charged tax. Neither from Amazon. I do, however, get charged for shipping unless it's free.

I never bought anything from the egg's 3rd/4th/5th/etc party vendors and don't plan to either.

UltraTaco

It used to be free for me in FL too until they built a warehouse there. You probably don't have either one(Newegg or Amazon) in your state. Once they "do business" in your state, like a distribution center, then they charge tax.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I order from Amazon, and they >Have the item warehoused in my state>I pay sales tax
>Ship the item from their warehouse in another state>I pay sales tax
>Item is shipped by a third party vendor in my state>I pay sales tax
>Item is shipped by a third party vendor not in my state>I pay sales tax

^^ That's how it works with Amazon in GA. lol

I usually don't pay any sales tax from newegg.

Alaric

You know what's really weird? I buy from newegg and don't get charged tax. Neither from Amazon. I do, however, get charged for shipping unless it's free.

I never bought anything from the egg's 3rd/4th/5th/etc party vendors and don't plan to either.

Based on the tracking of those capacitors, your Amazon warehouse is across the water in Joisey. And that was probably done specifically in response to NY's taxes.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I dont know how any american can not be mad about this. So, our expenditures from online retailers are now being forwarded to the state and federal tax reporting agencies by certain E-tailers? that never happened before. no government ever EVEr knew what i spent my hard earned cash online on, and how much I spent on it. what happened to under 10,000 a transaction not requiring audit. This is horrible IMO. more rights being stripped from us every day. i wouldnt be surprised if the government knew what time i took a crap every morning

Alaric

I dont know how any american can not be mad about this. So, our expenditures from online retailers are now being forwarded to the state and federal tax reporting agencies by certain E-tailers? that never happened before. no government ever EVEr knew what i spent my hard earned cash online on, and how much I spent on it. what happened to under 10,000 a transaction not requiring audit. This is horrible IMO. more rights being stripped from us every day. i wouldnt be surprised if the government knew what time i took a crap every morning

It started several years ago. States can make life miserable for online businesses if they don't cooperate, so they just cave and keep the revenue stream flowing. The fix is to stop voting for the jerks that do it, but that would require an informed electorate and we're headed the opposite direction in a big way.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
It started several years ago. States can make life miserable for online businesses if they don't cooperate, so they just cave and keep the revenue stream flowing. The fix is to stop voting for the jerks that do it, but that would require an informed electorate and we're headed the opposite direction in a big way.

Amen brother

Alaric

My issue is this; I choose to buy something from a particular place. My money, my choice. Now a government says "We're entitled to a piece of everything you do." They didn't provide any facilitation for the sale, ie, they didn't set the standards for the business' structure, they offer no protection or remedy if the sale goes bad. They have no financial outlay to recoup. That makes it theft by extortion, not taxation.

As for the potential criminal actions of newegg, turning over personal data that should only be delivered upon reception of a subpoena, means I will never buy from them again. It isn't just CT residents got screwed, it's the fact that newegg demonstrated they can't be trusted. I won't do business with someone I can't trust. If they're shady in that respect they'll be shady every time it's convenient for them. Adios, newegg.

UltraTaco

Hey now that's interesting point, what if you had to return half the stuff they want their cut on, you have to chase them down with documents in your fist that you don't owe them for those returns?

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
My issue is this; I choose to buy something from a particular place. My money, my choice. Now a government says "We're entitled to a piece of everything you do." They didn't provide any facilitation for the sale, ie, they didn't set the standards for the business' structure, they offer no protection or remedy if the sale goes bad. They have no financial outlay to recoup. That makes it theft by extortion, not taxation.

As for the potential criminal actions of newegg, turning over personal data that should only be delivered upon reception of a subpoena, means I will never buy from them again. It isn't just CT residents got screwed, it's the fact that newegg demonstrated they can't be trusted. I won't do business with someone I can't trust. If they're shady in that respect they'll be shady every time it's convenient for them. Adios, newegg.

Do they offer any of those features you stated (facilitation, business structure, or protection) at a brick and mortar? I'm really surprised it took this long for Uncle Sam to get his grubby fingers on internet sales.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I do find this enlightening. How the state sales tax works is so different than my experiences here. Each province is allowed to set their own tax levels here but we have never managed to escape the tax man. It sucks in that respect that I pay 13% on top of any good or service I receive but when returning I also get the tax portion back from the retailer since they charge and collect it for the gov't.
Seems like a much simpler solution but no one escapes the tax man

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I'm waiting for them to pull that stunt with NY. As the closest warehouse is in NJ and 90% of the stuff I've ordered came from there, I still wasn't charged tax. I've been looking around for my new place to shop for my pc needs.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I do find this enlightening. How the state sales tax works is so different than my experiences here. Each province is allowed to set their own tax levels here but we have never managed to escape the tax man. It sucks in that respect that I pay 13% on top of any good or service I receive but when returning I also get the tax portion back from the retailer since they charge and collect it for the gov't.
Seems like a much simpler solution but no one escapes the tax man

I'm not trying to get political here but I think it's just a matter of time before the U.S. adopts some form of GST tax themselves.