• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't buy SSD's just yet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
If you are planing on buying an SSD, you may want to wait.

Ashura, is writing a buying guide for SSD's...

This is going to be a pretty nice article and could be what everyone is looking for.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, just in case you're about to pull the trigger.

Joe

doz

I personally liked my Vertex 120gb (keep in mind its a bit faster than the 30/60gb versions) much more than the Intel G2 80gb drive. Im still running the G2 as my wife needs the little ibt of extra space for her laptop (she has the Vertex now), but Id still take a Vertex over the G2.

Just my personal experience though :)

Ashura

I personally liked my Vertex 120gb (keep in mind its a bit faster than the 30/60gb versions) much more than the Intel G2 80gb drive. Im still running the G2 as my wife needs the little ibt of extra space for her laptop (she has the Vertex now), but Id still take a Vertex over the G2.

Just my personal experience though :)

In what instances were the Vertex better than the X25-M in your experience doz?

I've only had my Vertex for a relatively short period of time but it seems to feel about even with the X25-M G2, with the G2 ever so slightly snappier and the Vertex being better when transferring large files to my file server.

Yep no sense on waiting for him to tell us the intel g2 are the way to go.

Well, the G2 or the performance Indilix drives. :)

In truth, the recommendations in the article will be pretty much the same as my post from the Guide to SSD selection thread. All I'm doing is fleshing it out a bit with more background info, more stuff on TRIM and GC, a more comprehensive list of SSDs, and possibly a small bit on cost/benefit (ie. "with the G2 hard to find at a good price, is it worth the premium over a Vertex?" etc.).

Last edited:

doz

Theres good and bads for both. Ive noticed that the installs of programs is overall slightly faster with the Vertex (though a FEW are about the same with the Intel). The overall feel of the drive I thought was a bit better for my personal usage than the Intel. The only place the intel really beats the vertex is in random writes, and personally I dont really see that being a huge difference coming from a mechanical drive as the random writes of a vertex blow away a VRap anyways.

I guess im in the same boat as you. After using both for a good amount of time, I feel the vertex is a bit better drive, not by much at all. I picked my vertex up in a trade for a Vrap + $200 cash (so about $300 as used 150gb go for around $100 atleast at that time, not sure now). $300 for 120gb Vertex is alot better deal than 80gb Intel @ $242 (price I paid for it) IMO.