• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont count out northwoods just yet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theELVISCERATOR

bench.jpg

New Sandra patch tested on 6 mos old XP install......

Still tough to beat..... esp on air...

3.0 @ 260 fsb= 3.9ghz...

Last edited:

Jiggahurtz

Disabled
Drools! I want a chip that can do that! Why doesn't Intel dump them pressy's and just revamp the Nw's for awhile. Not like it would be that hard for em to do.

gustav

Jiggahurtz said:
Drools! I want a chip that can do that! Why doesn't Intel dump them pressy's and just revamp the Nw's for awhile. Not like it would be that hard for em to do.

Because not many chips can reach those speeds and still be stable by their standards. Sure we overclockers can overclock many 3.0s to 3.6 or more and run prime and memtest and it will look stable by those programs, but when Intel tests their CPUs they have a lot higher standards and put them through worse conditions than the CPUs will ever see in an overclockers box. An example of their standards would require a Northwood to run on 1.525 vcore with the stock heatsink with it's thermal pad (not AS5) in a setting with ambient temps in the 80s (F) or higher. Northwoods at 3.6ghz and stable by Intel's standards is stretching the Northwood's cabability pretty far, esp on stock heatsinks. The fact is many, if any, can meet those standards. Prescotts have a longer pipeline and so, if the heat issue is taken care of, speeds in excess of 4ghz are very possible.

djs488

i wonder if they ever considered providing a better stock heat sink, and then getting a lil more out of it. i imagine the profit associated with a faster chip would override the cost of good cooling. although maybe not, cuz good heatsink+fan can cost up to 40bucks a pop, thats 40 more bucks on the tag of the cpu too i guess.

gustav

djs488 said:
i wonder if they ever considered providing a better stock heat sink, and then getting a lil more out of it. i imagine the profit associated with a faster chip would override the cost of good cooling. although maybe not, cuz good heatsink+fan can cost up to 40bucks a pop, thats 40 more bucks on the tag of the cpu too i guess.

They've made the stock heatsinks better for the higher end Northwoods and all Prescotts. The heatsink is larger and has a copper slug in the middle of the heatsink and its fused to a aluminum outside. I think Intel should make a deal with Thermalright to include an SP-94 with every processor :eek: :clap:

djs488

haha, yeah im sure thats in the making. but im also sure thermalright would be thrilled. i dunno about the better stock heatsinks though. i mean, its nice for the oem's i guess, but the enthusiast community is just gonna replace them anyway. rather them just mark it down like 5 bucks.

OP
theELVISCERATOR

theELVISCERATOR

greenman100 said:
not bad for a $200 CPU

I know of 2x $60 CPUs that will whomp, especially in the arithmetic bench[/QUOTE

why troll just post the screenshot....

but then again you cant..

since oc a64s cant match that without difficulty..

you arent talking about this horror are you...LOL...what a mess

1.JPG

Last edited:

greenman100

Disabled
ok, thanks for the personal attack...

but lets take a step back here and look at things

first of all, I never said I could beat your score, I only said that a duallie with 2x $60 AXPs could.

Now, to address the attacks you have made.

"Prettiness" is not important to me.

In that case is the following work of my own:

Fiberglass shroud
31vDC power supply
2x custom regulators
plenty of cutting and custom metalwork

all in order to get a $30 case to hold way more than it was designed for.

you have overclocked a P4, on air, and posted the resulting benchmark.

similar to someone buying a ferrari, and laughing at the guy with the 1985 Camaro that has a 700HP big block with a blower.

$ != skill

a lesson you may never learn

meionm

how much are they cheaper, you need to 2 cpu each $60 + $30 for cooling that $150, they probably need dual memory, a good psu, luck finding a good cpu that will overclock, and you still need to wire cpu for higher voltages, that might be skill but I wouldn't say it will be cheaper if you go dual, one yes, two I don't know

OP
theELVISCERATOR

theELVISCERATOR

greenman100 said:
ok, thanks for the personal attack...

but lets take a step back here and look at things

first of all, I never said I could beat your score, I only said that a duallie with 2x $60 AXPs could.

Now, to address the attacks you have made.

"Prettiness" is not important to me.

In that case is the following work of my own:

Fiberglass shroud
31vDC power supply
2x custom regulators
plenty of cutting and custom metalwork

all in order to get a $30 case to hold way more than it was designed for.

you have overclocked a P4, on air, and posted the resulting benchmark.

similar to someone buying a ferrari, and laughing at the guy with the 1985 Camaro that has a 700HP big block with a blower.

$ != skill

a lesson you may never learn

I dont recall asking the question ..can this beat a duallie...

so why did you give that answer?

you were just trolling about stuff you aint running.

I aint posting quad xeon screenshots I aint running either...

so go troll somewhere else

guess you never heard of the KISS method

Keep it Simple STUPID

Sentential

Contributing Member
Congrats on your score. Howver, *YOUR* case is not the norm. It is quite difficult for someone to get close to 4ghz on an Intel rig.

Also..... Sisandra isnt everyting. Just because your CPU is *smarter* dosnt make it better. Even you must admit that despite how old the Athlon XP design is, its pretty damn good.

I mean hell... look at how many revisions Intel went thru to get the Northwood core. All they did for AXP is add another layer and shrink the die.

IMO thats rather impressive.

Plz keep in mind that Socket A *IS* the most successful socket ever created...not S478.

Despite the Northwood's genious design. It hasnt been around all that very long.