• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOOM Vulkan patch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm that is a difference but am i the only one seeing Ogl looking better IQ wise vs vulkan.

If you're talking about the screenshots I posted, then the Vulkan shot is from my camera taking a picture of the monitor. Taking a steam snapshot crashes Vulkan right now and I didn't realize until after that Doom has a camera mode now. In game they look the same.

That specific area drops FPS hard, must be a glitch because in all the other panoramic outdoor mine stayed roughly the same ?
Or the scene/area is just more difficult/different to render? Can't say I jumped right on 'glitch' there!

Can't wait to try this when I get home!

Btw to the op. are you 100% sure DSR is working with vulkan?

No, I'm not. I'm quite skeptical actually. The numbers I am seeing are way over into the "too good to be true" category.

Or the scene/area is just more difficult/different to render? Can't say I jumped right on 'glitch' there!

Apart from the glass effect there's no reason for a almost 20fps drop (on mine) when almost every other outdoor area barely drops 5fps :confused: then again i'm still using 362.00 so it might have something to do with it...

It has to render a lot more in that scene? Who knows. It may be a glitch, but, I doubt it honestly. Just more pixels to push are my thoughts.

I tried it and so far not impressed on my 970.

If you see any discrepancies in the game appearance that's a bug, generally speaking if you do a good job you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The only thing I have noticed is an annoying bug with the skybox, where geometry in front of it would smear it gradually by moving the camera around.

From a performance standpoint I am not so sure but it feels like nothing has really changed, tbh opengl drivers on nvidia have always been better than amd's.

That's why you see such a big leap in performance with those cards and not nvidias.

Not sure if its gonna make a difference, installed the latest 368.69 and most of the time my game is actually capped at 200fps (vsync off), dropping to ~160fps in heavy combat areas. Did anyone know the game has a 200fps hardcap ?

EDIT : Vulkan seems to have higher FPS, (glued to 200fps far more often) but still dropped into the ~160fps in heavy fight scenes.

20160714124133_1.jpg

20160714124547_1.jpg

20160714124423_1.jpg

20160714124611_1.jpg

Last edited:
with medium settings@1080p is where i need to be to make it playable be it OGL or vulkan, both have the same fps. even on high settings vulkan does have any advantage for more fps vs OGL, maybe its just because i have a lower cuda count card, msi 960.

Wife's fx-4300+660Ti (1280x1024) was pulling a nice ~40fps ultra, ~65fps medium and ~70fps low (which i have to admit wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be, still very detailed) with the new 368.69 w/Vulkan, i was very pleasantly surprised to see it run so well on older gear :thup:

I know right ? She has a thing for old screens, square, even asked to me try to get a touchscreen on that res... The 660Ti seems perfect for it though, I can pretty much max out every game I put in it, WoW, Carmageddon reincarnation, GTA5, Alien Isolation, and a few others, and now Doom plays at a very acceptable frame rate, not bad indeed...

/thread hijack over ;)

i got an extra 15-20 fps at 1440p ultra in the area i tested with a 980ti. was at 75-130fps give or take. got up to about 95-145 in the same spot with vulkan.

Back