• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom3 Comments on MainPage - premature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadow

Registered
Per any specific benchmark, if you can get only 46fps out of a shipping Doom III demo with a 3GHz PIV and this card at 1280X1024 at just HQ, this game is in trouble.

1. This is alpha/beta software. The game is not out yet in final form.

2. You don't know when the game will be out, and hence you don't know what hardware will be out and at what prices.

3. Are we to believe 46.5fps at 1280x1024 HQ is somehow really poor perforance? Bump that down to a more realistic 1024x768 or 800x600 and you're over 60FPS, a more than adequate score.

4. You can customize the game. Turn off Real Time Lighting and you'll probably automatically double your score, if not triple it. That puts us at 93 - 139.5 FPS for ~UT3 level graphics, if not better. This game has what it takes to scale, the folks at iD are not marketing morons. Have some faith in them, and if not in them, in the leaked ........... (I don't want to give anyone fodder to ban this thread, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

5. This is a game with legs, it'll be around for a long time, and it's got the graphics (if nothing else) to do very well. Put the graphics and the name iD together, and you have an almost guaranteed hit; contingent on one thing - that it doesn't blow monkey balls.

-------

Frankly, I am really pleased that games have finally caught up to the hardware. Right now we are enabling antialiasing and anisotropic filtering because we the speed to spare. I can only hope that more games come out that push the envelope AND can still be ratched down to play on 3yr old hardware.

shadow

Last edited:

Maxvla

Thread%20Lock.jpg

bet ya

progamer

It might get locked but it might not. He didn't mention it by name, though.

Anyway, he does have some good points there. Give id some time, and they'll make the game playable on most systems AND look good.

Rasputin'sLiver

counselor of clock
playing this game in its current form is like eating the steak before you put it on the grill. you know it will taste good, but its just not done yet... leave it alone until its ready.

it was fun to take a peak at the game, but it's not worth the effort imho to try to make the leaked alpha (not that i have it -lol-) playable.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
i think you all missed a keyword up their, it did say shipping Doom III demo, not the A word. Shipping Doom III demo, at least to me maybe i took it outa context, means that is the demo of thier final build of the game, the one id releases to the public.

and yea that isnt a bad score for as good as the game looks. If i were to purchase doom 3 (im talking final build here) now and it ran like that i would be a happy camper

also the only reason this thread could be in jeparody of being locked imo is because you guys are degrading it into a descussion on the alpha build...

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I honestly don't know how many times I've said it, but I'll say it again: John Carmack is not a retard.

The game will not only be able to run on Bleeding Edge systems. I'm sure it'll run just fine on Mild Papercut systems . . . pro'lly even on Very Minor Cat Scratch systems.

Sure, it won't look as pretty, but it'll go.

funnyperson1

the benchmark in question is here: http://www.ukgamer.com/article.php4?id=208&page=3
i believe

and so i think ed was right...this cannot be the same 'A' that people were speaking of before....with the 'A' at E3 the 9700Pro was running 800x600 high detail i believe with 40fps....NV30 isnt *that* much better.....must be the current demo :)

OP
S

shadow

Registered
i think you all missed a keyword up their, it did say shipping Doom III demo, not the A word. Shipping Doom III demo, at least to me maybe i took it outa context, means that is the demo of thier final build of the game, the one id releases to the public.

and so i think ed was right...this cannot be the same 'A' that people were speaking of before....with the 'A' at E3 the 9700Pro was running 800x600 high detail i believe with 40fps....NV30 isnt *that* much better.....must be the current demo

I saw the word 'demo' in his sentence, and I failed to comment on it clearly. Nowhere, in any of the previews which showed benchies was the word 'demo' used to describe the current state of Doom3. Nowhere. It is only a guess that it is a demo, and not still alpha/beta software. Of course iD's alpha might be more like beta to some people, but that is beyond the point. No one is claiming that the Doom3 used for the benchmarking is demo quality. By demo quality I mean something they would release to the public to entice you to buy it. We have no information at all on the current state of Doom3 except for the A, and even then, how can we know they did not even backtrack some, or redo it. We have no idea where they are, and it is preposterous to make assumptions about so.

I still think the posting was premature as it involves making a judgement using information which no one, except maybe some people under NDA and the iD staff, has. The posting on the main page is an opinion, or a thought, and while it illustrates some humor and how the game is going to bring hardware to it's knees, it is devoid of any real logic. Think about it a little bit and you'll come to some of the points I wrote above.

I feel like I am taking this a little far, it's a harmless post, and I am spending valuable CS time attempting to write a coherent response to what is an unbased comment but I feel someone should set things straight.

shadow

edit: spelling, rewording/restating

Last edited:

baqai

Give the DEMO a break ppl, it was developed to be shown at E3 and that's about it, it was not meant to be a demo in which people can interact, correct me if i am wrong, at E3 the demo was shown only and people were not allowed to play it,

Now from the things i have heard for a demo which was meant only to show off this baby is doing more than it's asked for, i have full faith in ID and JC and can't wait to have my hands on the game its gonna be kick *** !! :D

OP
S

shadow

Registered
so baqai.......

are you just busting ma chops or do you have some info that I don't. I'd love to see it if you do, and if you don't, well them I'k just gonna have to kill you ;)

baqai

actually shadow i agreed to what you said :)

About the info google is your friend search away ..

why would you want to kill a cute lil innocent idiot like me for *sniff* :(

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
baqai said:
actually shadow i agreed to what you said :)

About the info google is your friend search away ..

why would you want to kill a cute lil innocent idiot like me for *sniff* :(

Don't worry lil'baqai, he probably just said that without thinkin' about how a statement like that would be against forum policies. (hint hint)

OP
S

shadow

Registered
well, I don't mind saying alpha. Using the term demo just made everything confusing considering how I was saying there is no Doom3 demo (as in a demo of a game for public release). This is splitting hairs here, and it's doing more harm (making baqai:() than good.

the info I was refering to was that there was an actual demo (again, demo being something that is released for public consumption to entice the end user to purchase the full product).

First rule in any discussion is to nail down your terminology so that everyone knows what the other is talking about. But on a forum like this, it's an exercise in futility akin to making the [H] reputable. :eek:

hehehe :p

shadow

[email protected]€$†®Ö™

Official Weight Watcher Staff
shadow said:
well, I don't mind saying alpha. Using the term demo just made everything confusing considering how I was saying there is no Doom3 demo (as in a demo of a game for public release). This is splitting hairs here, and it's doing more harm (making baqai:() than good.

the info I was refering to was that there was an actual demo (again, demo being something that is released for public consumption to entice the end user to purchase the full product).

First rule in any discussion is to nail down your terminology so that everyone knows what the other is talking about. But on a forum like this, it's an exercise in futility akin to making the [H] reputable. :eek:

hehehe :p

shadow
In cases like this, they always like to split hairs but such as life. :rolleyes:

[email protected]€$†®Ö™

baqai

shadow said:

Err that same alpha copy which is leaked on the net was shown at E3, demo stands for demonstration (correct me if i am wrong) so technically speaking i am not wrong calling it demo

If you read my post i did said in there that IMO it is demo which was prepared to be shown at E3 purpose ONLY and i also said that according to the news and reviews i have heard from people have got a chance to play it, it is doing more than it was meant to be (again IMO it was not meant to be played but to be shown and for no or very less user interaction)

Yes there is no official demo out but i never said there is :)

shadow said:

And again i think your definition of demo is limited

shadow said:
First rule in any discussion is to nail down your terminology so that everyone knows what the other is talking about.

First rule of any discussion is also to read a post properly and in detail before jumping to conclusion :D

shadow said:

MUHAHAHAH :p

BTW definition of demo is as follows

A demonstration, as of a product or service (you can refer www.dictionary.com) and in light of that definition what would you call that thing ID displayed at E3 ??

OP
S

shadow

Registered
For the purposes of my arguement I stated what demo was. I wanted to be clear on what I considered demo for the purposes of my arguement. Nothing more nothing less.

I am not attacking anyone, just trying to make my definition clear.

I went too far with it and offended people. I offended Baqai twice and I am sorry for that, I misread his post. I'm the one who needs to read better.

Oni is right about this being a bit too harsh:
But on a forum like this, it's an exercise in futility akin to making the [H] reputable

I said this out of frustration with defining demo, and the resistance to accept the definition which I used as part of my arguement. People have their own opinions, and that is fine, but don't insert them into my arguement where I have defined the terms I used.

Yes, my definition may be limited, but it is what I have chosen for my arguement, and my arguement is not supposed to be viewed in the light of different definitions. That is all I am trying to say, and I was trying to make clear what people were saying.

You can rebutt an arguement through it's definitions, but you must do so explicitly.

--------

In short, I misread baqai's post and as a result responded poorly, creating this lil debacle. Heck, my response above is probably asking for more aggravated resonses; probably a sign for me to learn how to convey ideas better.

edit: sentence structure

Last edited:

baqai

i might have caused some confusion by saying it is demo, i guess it all base on personal perception, if you felt i was rude accept my apologies and have a :beer: on me