• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

doom3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asj

Before I do anything I'll ask one question. Iam I allowed to talk about doom3?

If Iam my question is:
::EDIT::
I deleted it cos Iam not allowed to talk about it!
Oh well I'll just have to ask my friends!
::EDIT::
ps it is a game!
If Iam not allowed to talk about it the delet it!

Oh and please make a sticky about not allowed to talk about it!
Thanks and sorry!

Last edited:
OP
A

asj

damn! oh well I will just have to delet it! thanks anyway! Oh yeh a sticky would be kinda nice!

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
You can talk about Doom III here. You cannot, however, talk about the leaked Alpha, or post screenies (that haven't been officially released by iD). The reason all the Doom III threads get closed is because they all degrade down to how the alpha runs on user x's system.

Do you guys honestly know how upset iD is about this thing? They're pulling funding and advertising from affiliate sites for posting screenies and whatnot. the Overclockers.com Forums has had trouble with warez talk before, and have almost been shut down because of it. Do you think iD would waste time talking to us about it, or just get us into a whole heap of legal trouble?

So talk about the game. About what you think it'll be like, about what you think the system requirements will be like for the final, about how much you think they'll charge etc . . . but do NOT talk about the alpha.

OP
A

asj

You think Iam going to Rage! Iam a member of this forum! And thanks for making that clear to me! I didn't know! Is there tread which says all the things that we can and cannot say? (oh and I don't mean like "you can't talk about copying stuff" I mean examples, or would the list be too long! (lol) that question kinda sounds silly!

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I'm sorry. I was pro'lly harsher than I should've been.

I'm just tired of people flogging this dead horse, and skewing facts is all. I have nothing against any of you. I'm just sick of all the tounge-in-cheek references that we're not even allowed to say the words 'Doom III', which we are. We're just not allowed to talk about the alpha, but most talk of Doom III eventually moves towards the alpha.

SpeeDj

Ed's take on this...

Just a bit of a thread that may help you, specifically here is my response;

"It's illegal from the aspect that it wasn't obtained through proper channels, IE a release by the owners in this case ID, you want to argue semantics; Lets. If you were to obtain a prototype vehicle illegally, would it still make it ok for you to drive it? What would your excuse be? "They left the garage door open?" So what, it's within their rights to sue based on the simple fact an Alpha makes them look bad as it doesn't truly represent what the final product will look like or function like. Optimizations and final code are where a game begins to shine and show it's true colors. It's illegal, discussing what you think of the Alpha as far as gameplay, function, etc is NOT OK, discussing what you think the impact of the Alpha getting out will be IS OK.

Talking about playing/downloading/sharing it IS NOT OK
Offering up screenshots IS NOT OK

Let's stick to the issue legally, all talk of playing it will stop, when the demo hit's feel free to talk about all of it until you are blue in the face until then let's stick to speculation. Why it has been defined under the broad generalization of Warez is because like warez it is illegal to own/obtain/use the software that has not been released for public consumption, simple as that.

Would you rather we define it as illegal and simply report each and every person to ID that states they are currently running it? Let it drop, talk about what you think it will be like. I am tired of finding thread after thread about a ILLEGAL PIECE OF LEAKED Software.

J :cool: Just my two cents..."

Banyan

IDEALY, and i mean it literally, you should be able to say what ever you want. i understand the rules here and why they are in place, and i respect that. i just think it's absurd that any company can have such profound legal muscle when it comes to talk... no crime, just words. imo, the only real power nowadays is in the hands of the corporations.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Banyan said:
IDEALY, and i mean it literally, you should be able to say what ever you want. i understand the rules here and why they are in place, and i respect that. i just think it's absurd that any company can have such profound legal muscle when it comes to talk... no crime, just words. imo, the only real power nowadays is in the hands of the corporations.

Yep, cause they got the cash...

Banyan

WyrmMaster said:

Yep, cause they got the cash...

and were stupid enough to give it to em. i'm gonna stop now, not gonna go further, but it really doesn't help that we vote idiots into office that are serving really only the corporate worlds interests, not ours. :D.

SpeeDj

Banyan said:
The thing that needs to be remembered as well is this is not a public forum this is privately owned and funded and as such it is at the owners discretion how and what is allowed to be discussed, I am sure they don't love hearing the S word just because a user chose to talk about how cool getting a program for free off a p2p is. That's all there is to it.

J :cool: