• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Down to one rig folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

Well, my sister found out that I was still folding on the P3, which she calls "hers", and thus uninstalled it, and keeps on deleting it when she sees it's running. So, unless I find a way to completely hide WinFAH and FAHCore from showing up in Task Manager, and therefore making Folding completely invisible, I won't be able to make it run again. :( Someone please help me with this [impossible] task of hiding FAH from Windows !?!

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
hide folding

Try using the task scheduler from the control panel, but set it to run whenever the computer is idle for more than 5 minutes. It shouldn't appear in the task manager.

Mr. Chambers

have you tried explaining to her that you're working for a cure that could very well save lives? i cannot believe that she is so hell bent on keeping something you put on there off... is it really her machine or is it your parents? i'd go to them if it was i...

OP
M

minoukat

Mr. Chambers said:
have you tried explaining to her that you're working for a cure that could very well save lives? i cannot believe that she is so hell bent on keeping something you put on there off... is it really her machine or is it your parents? i'd go to them if it was i...

it's not hers, it's in the living room, but she just calls it hers :rolleyes:. Anyways, the parents won't do anything. And, I've already tried to explain her millions of times, and here's her answer (put shortly) : "I don't care if it'll save lives, it's slowing down my computer. It's hogging the processor. I don't want it. If you want to run it, install it on the other. etc etc etc". then I tell her that it's running faster on the P3 : "I don'T care, u have the other, crap it all you want, but not on this one." :mad: :rolleyes: All she does on it is to download and watch TV shows (wow, that's really a task that require a P3 900 and that some program running in the background will disrupt :rolleyes: )

Gnerma

Okay she says that it shows down the computer? She is wrong, the Tech Report ran a bunch of benchmarks on the impact of folding and found that it makes little to no difference.

http://tech-report.com/etc/2002q4/foldingimpact/index.x?pg=1

The computer may be slowing down because of folding only if it is using the swap file, how much memory does the computer have? Folding uses a lot of memory.. if you have 256 it should not be swapping..

When is she NOT on the computer? You can schedule folding to run during the night and when she is not home, or just set it to run after a few minutes of idle time like Arkaine said, so if she turns it off it'll just turn itself back on after she leaves :)

Wow a female that knows how to end a task via task manager, she's WAY ahead of the curve :)

To WAR!!
uzi.gif
:eek:

nfsga

She might stop fahcore, but it'll start again immediately...and she won't be able to uninstall it because it's the console version.

OP
M

minoukat

well, HideItX didn't work, but I used your tip and changed WinFAH.exe to system.exe, and with some otehr program that hides the FAH tray icon, it's now completely invisible, so if she stops FAHCore, it'll start back and she doesn't know what program started it ! :D

Thanks all, now my rigs are both folding ! :D :)