• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Download speed survey

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TripleH

Registered
Today is my first day with dsl and my max download speed was roughly 63 KB/s downloading linux, i was wondering what everyone else out there are getting

Beelzebub

Pacbell DSL at T1 Download / Quarter upload.

150 KB/sec.. have been known to get 180 KB/sec from certain servers and when nothing else is downloading or uploading. Can upload at about 37 KB/sec.

CreePinG_DeatH

When my cable service was [email protected], I was getting 750-800KB/s (kiloBYTES). But since ATTBroadband internet SUX, it caps me at 187 KB/s... *******s... And they have the extra bandwidth too.

takiwa

56K on Frontier, 5-8K/s download, ?K/s upload, 47000K/s bandwidth tested at downloads.com (my g/f and I share this connection on 2 computers)...got it tweaked as high as it will go :D 56K sux....

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
DirecPC one way dish with 56k modem for the upstream.
About 70Kb/s using explorer's downloader, and about 200~230Kb/s using FlashGet/JetCar software.
I really recommend getting the software! It splits the file 5 ways and downloads all 5 at the same time, then puts them back together as they arrive. There's a freeware version with a small ad banner that's fully functional.

CreePinG_DeatH

Hmmm that kind sounds like Star Downloader. It's freeware with no ads. The only part that sucks is when you get a place that only allows a certain number of connections. It will try and find mirrors and such, but sometimes there's no luck.

geldib

Registered
With BellSouth FastAccess Adsl i get around 150KB/s download... and from the Microsoft site it usually starts out around 700KB/s then goes down to around 300-250KB/sec.... not too sure what my upload is tho...
Advertised Speed 1.5 down and 256 up....

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Diggrr said:
About 70Kb/s using explorer's downloader, and about 200~230Kb/s using FlashGet/JetCar software.
I really recommend getting the software! It splits the file 5 ways and downloads all 5 at the same time, then puts them back together as they arrive. There's a freeware version with a small ad banner that's fully functional.

I use something called Getright, which is similar (you can have up to 8 segments from multiple servers, too!)

RnPgrosz

I get 1.2 Mb/s down and about 125 Kb/s up with comcast cable. Not great but fast enough for me. :D

takiwa

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Diggrr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use something called Getright, which is similar (you can have up to 8 segments from multiple servers, too!)
I've tried 'em all...GetRight first, then Go!Zilla, then DAP...all on a satellite connection, and NONE of them pulled as much bandwidth as FlashGet! I love that program :D

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Same here, used GoZilla and GetRight too. Flashget does a great job, and I don't have to train it so much like with GetRight. All those settings are available, but the installer sets the program up right the first time. I also like that it's a plugin for IE, so using FlashGet is automatic, and is also in the right click menu without all the drag and drop pain of GetRight.

DirecPC says I can hit 300+Kb/s, but I've found that to be a dream of some Hughes sales executive. It sucks living in the boonies, but of course I haven't locked my door in 8 years either.
Cable company says their coming "in under 3 years"...like I'm gonna wait.