• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

downloading WU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
ok i am on dial-up now and i was wondering if there was anyway to download 5-10 units before i goto bed and then let then fold all day while i am at work. And then, at night when i get back online send them and get more.

:confused:

Kendan

Senior Punk
nope you can not do that but you can set your modem to autodial and disconnect. I do not use a modem but I am sure one of our modem users will respond. Fold on!!!!

OP
NASsoccer

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
kendan said:
nope you can not do that but you can set your modem to autodial and disconnect. I do not use a modem but I am sure one of our modem users will respond. Fold on!!!!

ah poo, that is what i thought:( well maybe one of the modem users and enlighten me with how the manage to get along with dial-up.

Ploaf

You can try to run 2 or 3 instances of the client at the same time. This would slow the client down so that it's not finishing work so quickly. I'm not sure how well it would work for you since the timing won't be exactly right, but if your computer is spending half of its time idle then that could be a solution.

muddocktor

Retired
Auto Dialup and Win2K

Here is a cut and paste job on how to setup Win2K to autodial. I had posted this in the FAQ thread but it is getting pretty long and kind of hard to read through so I'll post it here. I'm presently not running any rigs on Win 9x, so someone else will have to help you with it that has more recent experience with 9x, but I do remember that it was easier to set up than 2K.

Here is the way to set up Win2K:
Q: How do I enable Win2K to automatically dial up and send and receive WU's?

A: Look in the Win2k help files in the index and look up dialup connections and under it there is an entry for automating. Click on it and in the right hand pane is a link to autodial, click on it. It then shows a couple of links to configure autodial and to start the remote access auto connection manager. You will have to go into both of them and follow the steps, which are fairly easy. While you are in the RAACM, configure it to start the service automatically as it set set on manual by default. After you've done this it will be configured and close out the help files.
The first time that it goes to connect after starting the remote access auto connection manager and enabling auto dialup, it will ask if you want to connect. Then, it will ask you which connection to use, even if you only have 1 dialup account on the computer. Then it will ask if you want to be asked all this again before dialing the next time. Be sure to tell it not to ask again or the next time it finishes a WU, it will come up with this same dialogue again. Also, be sure to set the dialup to automatically disconnect after 5-10 minutes instead of relying on your ISP to knock you off for inactivity.

Now enable your autodial and fold on!!:D :beer: