• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DP to DVI-D via adapter does not work for second monitor (2080 Ti).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have two monitors, an Acer Predator (2560x1440) and a knock off Catleap Q270 (2560x1440). Prior to using this new GPU (2080 Ti), I ran DP to the Predator and DVI-D to DVI-D on the Catleap without issue both running 2560x1440 (Predator is at 144 Hz). I put the new GPU in, hooked up DP to DP for the Predator and ran a DP to DVI-D (via adapter included with the card...even tried a second one) to the Catleap. The Catleap shows it has a signal, but it is a black screen. It shows as a display in the the NV CPanel, however I am unable to check off the checkbox and add it to extend the display/desktop so I can use dual monitors. If I unplug the monitor I hear the noise acknowleding a device was removed. When I plug it back in, I hear the device connected sound so the cable and adapter are 'good' AFAIK. Windows Display "Didn't detect another display".

nvcp.jpg

The GPU only has 3x DP and 1x HDMI. The monitor in question is DVI-D only.

What am I missing here? Why was DVI-D to DVI-D ok, but DP (from the card) to a DP to DVI-D adapter doesn't? Will an HDMI to DVI-D work?

Help would be appreciated... :D

Last edited:

bmwbaxter

Does it show up in device manager? A plc adapter of mine needed a driver for it to work. Not sure if the dp-dvi does.

Might be a defective gpu you can send it to me :rofl:

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I show two Generic PnP monitors in the device manager. I don't imagine needed a driver for this, but, I've heard of stranger things.

EDIt: Even as the only monitor, it never displays a picture (but has a signal - black screen).

Last edited:

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
What kind of cable do you have DVI-D dual/single? You might not be getting "enough" signal

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
DVI-D. The adapter is DP to DVI-D as well.

The only thing new in the loop is the card, the output source (was Dvi-d, now DP) and the adapter. The monitor behaves the same with a mDP to DP to dvi-d so it's not the adapter.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
But DP to DVI-D may need a dual cable for the added data, I don't know for sure just thowing things to see what sticks.

DVI-Types-1024x453.jpg

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sorry I was not clear... It is a DVI-D Dual Link all around.

The DVI-D (DL) to DVI-D (DL) cable worked on the previous card when coming from DVI output. The adapter that is new is DVI-D (DL) to DP is using the same DVI-D (DL) to DVI-D (DL) cable. The only difference is the adapater and the card.

I will confirm the adapter is a DVI-D (DL), but it has the holes for it exactly. EDIt: It is wired as Dual DVI-D...

That said, it did not work using another cable DVI-D DL to mDP cable with a mDP to DP adapter either.

Last edited:

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Ok try this, you know the Acer Predator works when pluged in a DP port, so try the Acer Predator in each DP port on each of the new cards to see if they work. Also check the DP to DVI adapter on a 1080 card just to rule it out. (I know you checked it but do it again:))

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The Predator on DP to DP works in all three DP on the card(s). I tried the other cable in all three DP ports as well.

I will check the DP to DVI adapter on the 1080 shortly... good call (just didn't want to go back to that card, LOL).

EDIT: Ok... here's the deal...

Swapped GPUs back to the 1080 and with the DVI DL (DL) adapter in the loop, it does the same thing (no picture but signal). I go straight DVI and I am able to select it in the NV CP without issue. With the adapter, I cannot check it off.

Why? Makes no sense to me...Is it something in the monitor perhaps?? I don't have another monitor that has DVI to test......

Last edited:

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
The Predator on DP to DP works in all three DP on the card(s). I tried the other cable in all three DP ports as well.

I will check the DP to DVI adapter on the 1080 shortly... good call (just didn't want to go back to that card, LOL).

EDIT: Ok... here's the deal...

Swapped GPUs back to the 1080 and with the DVI DL (DL) adapter in the loop, it does the same thing (no picture but signal). I go straight DVI and I am able to select it in the NV CP without issue. With the adapter, I cannot check it off.

Why? Makes no sense to me...Is it something in the monitor perhaps?? I don't have another monitor that has DVI to test......

I have 1 more thing for you to try, turn off all power (unplug cords) then hook up all cables and adapter then plug the power cord back in and power up. I'm thinking the adapter does not like being plugged in with power on. I have a DP to VGA adapter and it would not work if I plugged it in with power on.

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'll give it a whirl in a bit and report back (though I may have done that??? not sure, LOL)... many thanks for the ideas!

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
perhaps said cards require active adapters? i remember that was a thing with the amd 6xxx cards

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Maybe. I'm also going to try HDMI to DVI-D DL adapter and see if that works.

Though when reading, it seems like even the active adapters SAY the limit is 1920x1200 or something. I know DVI-D DL can go over that so salt block for deer there.

trekky

let me know if what you do works, when i get my card in a few days (hopefully) i will start taking shots at it, i have the same catleap monitor and a 2080ti in the mail. so we are in the same boat!

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The DVI-D DL to HDMI didn't work on the 1080... didn't even try it on the new card.

Its the same issue...recognizes it, but will not let me select it.

I'm guessing at this point its the monitor.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
The DVI-D DL to HDMI didn't work on the 1080... didn't even try it on the new card.

Its the same issue...recognizes it, but will not let me select it.

I'm guessing at this point its the monitor.

I don't think it's the monitor, if the adapter only supports up to 1920x1200 then it would not work. But then why do they ship the card with the adapter if it won't support 2560x1440?

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have adapters that support a higher res. Its dvid dl to mdp, then mdp to DP.

I also tried dvid dl ti hdmi, same.

3 different adapter types. 1 of which I absolutely know worked before on that monitor with a different card.