• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dragon plus locking problem, with xp2100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

opticle

Registered
I have had my dragon plus for some time now (about 8 months) and everything has been working fine till last week. All of the sudden my computer hard locked, the only way I could reboot it is by turning it off and back on. No big deal, right, but when I rebooted it it locked again about 30 seconds to a minute after windows loaded. It kept doing this. I figured my thunderbird 1.4 was messing up from having it overclocked, so i loaded fail-safe defaults. Still locking everytime.

So what the hell time to upgrade my processor anyways, so I bought a xp2100 and a new 480W power supply. Cool now the problem will be fixed, nope. Now it automatically just reboots when windows starts to load. So l load xp in safe mode and everything seems to be woking fine, so I unistall everything that I didnt need, and I pulled my soundcard out (soundblaster 5.1). Booted XP back up and reinstalled the video drivers and such, and rebooted 1 more time. Now the computer is laggy as hell, feels like a Pentium 333 and then it locks again. This time it locked and it still managed to play a winamp internet radio station in the background woohoo(now using the sound card on the board). Hmmm....... So I reboot, and now windows wont load at all, says missing or corrupt windows32/config/system file.

So im ****ed now gonna reformat and reinstall. Now it cant seem to complete the install. It hangs up on loading setup files ?

Things I know and have done....................

The chip is not overheating(swiftech heat sink) and bios confirm it is not overheating
The board is not contacting the case
Checked ram to make sure it was seated properly

Things it could be.............??????????

Could my video card be bad ? (radeon vivo)
My scsi card or hard drive ? (adaptec card and seagate drive)
Or could it be my motherboard crapping out ?
Bad Ram (pc2100) been working fine till this day though
Somekind of virus (scaned with norton in safe mode and no virus was found)

There is a bios update for the xp2100 but I dont think it will matter because it was locking with my thunderbird 1.4 before anyways. I dont know what to try next, I DONT want to spend more money, its bad enough I spent this much. :(

Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
It sounds like a bad hard drive to me.

I had the same problem. But when I tried loading windows, it would lock on the ntoskrnl screen. Setup would lockup or say it couldn't format the drive.
So, I D/L'ed the diagnostics tool from IBM and it said the drive was defective "Due to excessive shock" wich is crap, but it verified my problem.

Good luck.

Edit... I read a bit more.

It's not your CPU, or a grounding problem. And I doubt that your ram is causing it either. The video card - doubtfull, but mabey. I have a gf3 that is messed up in one way or another, and it will make XP lock up after a few minutes.

crazyman

opticle said:
I have had my dragon plus for some time now (about 8 months) and everything has been working fine till last week. All of the sudden my computer hard locked, the only way I could reboot it is by turning it off and back on. No big deal, right, but when I rebooted it it locked again about 30 seconds to a minute after windows loaded. It kept doing this. I figured my thunderbird 1.4 was messing up from having it overclocked, so i loaded fail-safe defaults. Still locking everytime.

So what the hell time to upgrade my processor anyways, so I bought a xp2100 and a new 480W power supply. Cool now the problem will be fixed, nope. Now it automatically just reboots when windows starts to load. So l load xp in safe mode and everything seems to be woking fine, so I unistall everything that I didnt need, and I pulled my soundcard out (soundblaster 5.1). Booted XP back up and reinstalled the video drivers and such, and rebooted 1 more time. Now the computer is laggy as hell, feels like a Pentium 333 and then it locks again. This time it locked and it still managed to play a winamp internet radio station in the background woohoo(now using the sound card on the board). Hmmm....... So I reboot, and now windows wont load at all, says missing or corrupt windows32/config/system file.

So im ****ed now gonna reformat and reinstall. Now it cant seem to complete the install. It hangs up on loading setup files ?

Things I know and have done....................

The chip is not overheating(swiftech heat sink) and bios confirm it is not overheating
The board is not contacting the case
Checked ram to make sure it was seated properly

Things it could be.............??????????

Could my video card be bad ? (radeon vivo)
My scsi card or hard drive ? (adaptec card and seagate drive)
Or could it be my motherboard crapping out ?
Bad Ram (pc2100) been working fine till this day though
Somekind of virus (scaned with norton in safe mode and no virus was found)

There is a bios update for the xp2100 but I dont think it will matter because it was locking with my thunderbird 1.4 before anyways. I dont know what to try next, I DONT want to spend more money, its bad enough I spent this much. :(

Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated :)

try the 2BA3 bios,I have it running on my D+ ,with no probs at all.
was'nt the 2BA2 only good up to 2000?I know you said it did it with you're t-bird,but I would try it,and what is the fsb set at in the bios?100? or 133? or oc'ed? did you try all the bios setup defaults?
or maybe PSU ? the athlon wants more power than the t-bird.what brand PSU and how big PSU?do you have?

Last edited:
OP
O

opticle

Registered
Well i think i narrowed the problem down, I reinstalled XP and used the onboard sound. Everything worked fine. I decided to put my soundblaster back in though because when i played MPEG files the audio lagged way behind. I put the sound blaster back in and my computer instantly locked up when i rebooted. I guess the soundcard must have went on me.

How the hell does a sound card wear out ? ? ?