• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DRAM voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

i have my DRAM voltage set to 1.64v in BIOS, but according to HW Monitor it fluctuates between 1.67 and 1.69v on load!

Is this normal?

I wouldn't put too much faith in HWMonitor for reading the correct DRAM voltage from within Windows. Instead read the voltage from the 'Power' screen--> Voltage Monitor--> DRAM Bus Voltage in the BIOS.

what does the DRAM voltage have to be within 0.5v of? or is it 0.05v?

The voltage differential between the DRAM Bus voltage and the QPI/VTT (or Uncore depending on the BIOS) voltage needs to be <= 0.5V. Default QPI/VTT voltage is 1.15 - 1.2V, w/ default DRAM voltage normally at between 1.64 - 1.66V. The absolute maximum DRAM voltage as spec'd by Intel for the i7 920 is 1.875V, which means no more than 1.35 - 1.375 QPI/VTT voltage. Although you'll see plenty of folks running considerably higher than 1.35V Uncore, like upwards of 1.5 or more for higher BCLKs and DRAM frequency of > 2000MHz.

Last edited:
Back