• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drawing AIR from fridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

im sure this has been discussed before, but i hear a lot of people talk about water cooling using a fridge. but what if you could find/make a fridge small enough to fit just outside your case where an intake fan was. the air that would be coming in would be at least 0C. would it seep through holes in the case and still be about 30C or would it dramatically improve the cooling? i just thought that water cooling is kinda expensive and that drawing air from a fridge might work.

AntmanMike

The only design I ever made to combat condensation was to build a cardboard PC holder (IE it holds all components) and make it draw air thru the top part of the mini fridfe (the freezer), since it gets really cold, and Arctic Silver Epoxy or 3 a couple heatsinks to that thing inside, so the air gets very cold and loses all moisture, and tilt it so the moisture drops to the bottom of the fridge, where it could be collected. This way condensation is at a minimum, if at all. You could also coat the components with waterproofing spray. I never got to test this with a live board, although I did test it with a dead board that had a couple fans hooked up to it, and it worked continually for a few hours till i turned it off. The Power supply was outside the mini fridge.

AntmanMike

Where the PSU cables came out, I put a jewel bag to keep it sealed. I also had a 120mm fan blowing on the radiator thing on the back (condensor?), and I was going to aim a fan at the Compressor also.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
TimDgsr said:
wouldn't you wear the fridge out pretty fast, kind of like leaving it on and leaving the door cracked.

yeah, the refrigerator wouldn't be able to keep that large of a volume of cold air to make it effective. interesting idea though... too bad it wouldn't work well. just think, a 30 cfm fan would pull 30 cubic feet per minute... that's a lot of air and not many small fridges are that large haha

OP
djs488

djs488

yeah, i was thinking of making a whole in the fridge and kinda attaching it to the case. i guess this would essentially refridgerating the whole case. maybe like sticking the whole case in a fridge. so i guess it wouldnt work. oh well, just an idea

OP
djs488

djs488

oh yeah, will condensation hurt the heatsink. maybe i could a have tube going from the fridge to the heatsink. then at the sides of the HS i would have fans sucking out, drawing the cold air through the heatsink into the case. by that time is would have heated up and fully condensated? maybe not.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
djs488 said:
oh yeah, will condensation hurt the heatsink. maybe i could a have tube going from the fridge to the heatsink. then at the sides of the HS i would have fans sucking out, drawing the cold air through the heatsink into the case. by that time is would have heated up and fully condensated? maybe not.

it might work a little, but you'd have to completely seal the case... still, as long as the case is metal, it would gain heat pretty fast, making the refrigerator work overtime... if you insulated the whole case, then it could work better though. i would love to see it happen :)

peppy

just thought that water cooling is kinda expensive
Water cooling isn't that expensive if your informed, i bet for 70$ you could make a decent setup. look around.;)

AntmanMike

Or you could experiment with my method. As I said it didnt blow up, and the fans kept running. It was an almost entirely closed system.

nealric

That fridge you were looking at is a peltier fridge. Might as well just get a peltier- it would be more efficient. If you really want a fridge, you should just go the watercooling/waterchiller route.

Rottys-R-Us

Jester
If you could get the fridge inside to keep it around room temp to bring down the cpu temp, almost like when I had my gheto setup, befor the Swifty came along.

Experiment :D

GHETO

EDIT: And keep you beer in it also :beer: If you have any :cool:

Last edited:

Paxmax

A minifridge won't be able in any way to cope with this.

A fullsize evil big mean fridge might do the trick if you recycle all air from PC again and make sure it all touches the evaporator.
No way can any normal fridge be able to cool down room temp air to a "low" temps and then feed heatsink. The small surface area of an fridge needs the air to recycle several couple of times to chill it.

Scudrunr

Registered
I was thinking of doing my own ghetto style ducting on my computer. All you need is 4 fans, some ducting, and a couple feet of plexiglass. drill 2 holes in the plexi and attash 2 fans and ducting to that and put it in your window. Then run the same setup in the top of your case. If its in the winter you have 0*C all the time. You would need to seal and insulate your case because you don't want condensation on the outside of your case or a draft during those long hours of computing:D .

OP
djs488

djs488

what is this watercooling setup for $70? also, what if i had ducts going from the fridge, to the heatsink, to the exhaust, and back into the fridge again. it would all be propelled by fans strategically placed in the ducts.

ive attached an example of this setup:

OP
djs488

djs488

wouldn't the condensation get all over everything? i thought that was one reason why i COULDNT draw air from one. CAN I just put the computer in a fridge?