• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dream W/C Build for the Front Page

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I.M.O.G. has come up with a novel idea that sounds fun. I'd want to do it, but time isn't on my side right now. Here's what he proposed:
What about a basics article? If you're building a top end loop, what are the best waterblock options currently? Pumps? Premium tubing, economy tubing? Call it the Overclockers.com Winter 09 Water Cooling Build, and we can do new ones every other season or so as components come in and out of vogue. A few good options can be mentioned for each component, including the expensive end as well as the save money but performs well end.
So...who wants to build the Overclockers.com Winter 09 Water Cooling Loop? At a minimum, mention your top CPU block, radiator, pump, reservoir and tubing.

In doing so, it would be nice if you included references. It's ok if they all come from Skinnee, Vapor or Martin, we understand. :beer:

Since there exist more than one reason to water cool (i.e. performance / silence / looks / budget), there might be the potential for more than one. Please reply to this thread if you're interested and which aspect you're interested in. We'll go from there. As this is the first go-round, this process will be somewhat...um....fluid. :p

Daddyjaxx

I wouldn't mind doing something on budget performance. I don't have top end anything in my system, but I know how to get the best out of everything, except the POS Seagate 1.5 GB drives.

Jeffery_Paul

Registered
A top of the range watercooling loop that contains all the best bits would be good, but as you mentioned, a best silence/performance loop would be a nice change from the best straight performance setups.

I don't have any valuable input due to inexperience, but im all for seeing a top of the range stealth system (Discreet, minimum noise but best performance for that kind of setup)

OP
hokiealumnus

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Thanks for the input all, hope we'll be able to help you.

Daddyjaxx, go ahead and work on yours if you'd like. Please use the article template. When you're done, PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to.

thorilan

To be honest from the direction I see it, I would not call it dream watercooling. I would call it example systems for varying goals and budgets.

A dream system is of an extreme budget with the highest performance AND low noise with lots of time and skill thrown in and while its something to aspire to or dream about it doesn't help most people . BUT what you have proposed with many levels does .
Especially if you vary the levels enough to cover at least 4 noise ranges and 4 performance ranges .
The hard part is it can grow very quickly when you consider cases and CPU so section 1 or 2 should be on the purpose of water cooling and the hows and whys of selection of specific enclosures and CPUS.
To top it off you need 2 reference air systems to hold comparative performance for the systems so they can judge them against a non water standard .
I say 2 , 1 being factory air and fan and the other a TRUE .

OP
hokiealumnus

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Oh, we're not going into that detail. That's what I link people to the w/c guide for. :)

These are just quick-hit fun. I think I'm going to tackle the "dream" build if no one else does and have one special part in mind that puts it over the top. You're absolutely right about that type of build, but it's more for fun. The specific-reason loops will be much more practical and helpful to more people.

OP
hokiealumnus

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Ok, Daddyjaxx, I'm going to try and get something going this week. If you would, please make your budget build and form it into something resembling the article template. I'll be making the rest of the piece and would like to get it done by the end of the week if possible.

If anyone else is interested in contributing what I'm now looking at as more of a holiday wish list, please let me know. :)

OP
hokiealumnus

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Tis ok, I had to let this one go until after Thanksgiving anyway. You're not behind at all. :)

xtreeme

Disabled
Tagan A+ Black Pearl w. Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller ( The cabinet is 2 year old now - been trough a lot of mods ! )
Aerocool Touch-2000 Touchscreen Fan Controller
Alphacool Graphical LCD-Display 200x64
Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme w. EK GA X58 watercooling kit
Koolance 1700W Liquidcooled PSU
Lapped CI7 920 D0 w. Coollaboratory LiquidPro @ 4,6GHz - 24/7 (Stability tested w. IntelBurnTest,Orthos and OCCT - more to come ?)
6GB Dominator GT 2000MHz
Sapphire 4870X2 2GB (will be replaced with 5970)
Areca 1680ix-12 (4GB) w. 6x OCZ Vertex Raid0
3x backplanes on onboard AHCI w.12 SpinPoint F1's 1TB + some other disks
2x 24" Syncmaster 2493
1 x 32" 1080p LG for gaming/movies
LG GGC-H20L Blueray/HD-DVD
Plextor PX-880SA DVD recorder
Swiftech APOGEE GTX "siliconemodified"
Feser "Monsta" rad w. 6x 140mm Lian Li 140x25mm 1200 rpm for CPU and motherboard
120mm Magicool rad w. SilenX fan for powersupply
EK-FC4870 X2 fullcoverblock
240mm Magicool rad w. SilenX fans for GFX
Adjustable Swiftech MCP655 (GFX)
2x Adjustable Swiftech MCP655 in serial/paralell testing (CPU and Motherboard)
CC systems pump for powersupply
Bitspower connectors
1/2" white primochill with white antikink coils
FluidXP NanoFluid

uhh and all is "changing" - found that 1 loop is sufficient for mb/cpu/gpu with the monsta and 2 pumps in serial

Last edited:

Aynjell

My water loop is as follows:

Apogee GTZ SE, compression fittings.
MCR320QP, compression fittings.
Swiftech MicroRes 2, compression fittings.
Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC top, compression fittings.

Feser red tubing, resting on an 1156 platform. All of this is theoretical as the computer is in parts across the country right now. Waiting for the guys in brown to bring me the cpu, mobo, tubing, and mounting kit. Would this apply for anything?

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
xtreeme, no personal links allowed in sigs, that may apply to your location too, even if it isn't stated in the rules.

Spawn-Inc

so, i was board and made my dream w/c setup. just the main parts and fans.

dreamcooling.jpg

if i had that much in my account, and already owned the system i would seriously get that... man ... dreaming is fun!