• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive suddenly shows us as unformatted ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyrotechnic

I have a 2.5" 20 GB laptop drive in a Rosewill USB external enclosure that I use for my laptop. It's formatted FAT32 and it's the common ground between Windows and Mac OS on my laptop.

I booted into Mac OS and a message popped up and said the drive wasn't recognized and I needed to format it. I booted into Windows and again it's asking me to format.

I go into the disk manager and what I see is strange. New drives usally show up unallocated. This shows up as having a partition, basic, healthy, but there's no partition type listed. Did it just forget that it was FAT32 ?

There is some data on this drive that I can't replace. Not the end of the world if it's gone forever but I'd like to have it back if there is something simple that I can do ? What the heck happened here ?

Know Nuttin

It happens if the partition table gets mucked up. I'd run recovery software to get your data off before doing any type of repair to the drive.

OP
Pyrotechnic

Pyrotechnic

Thanks ! I got some recovery software and I was able to get everything valuable off the drive. Nothing was corrupt.

What would cause this ? Is the drive itself failing, or was it just a data transfer error during normal operation of the drive ?

OP
Pyrotechnic

Pyrotechnic

I've tried twice to repartition and reformat the drive with Windows 7 (FAT32). Both times it stops at 64%, and the activity light on the enclosure goes out. I'm thinking the drive is toast ? Don't think an issue with the USB/IDE bridge in the enclosure would do something like this ?

Only other thing I can think of is to try and dig up my 3.5" 40 pin to laptop 2.5 drive adapter and stick it inside the desktop system.

Know Nuttin

Could be either one. In all honesty though, a 20GB drive nowadays is worth nothing, you may be just better off spending the $30-40 and getting a new external drive. Drives do have finite lives.