• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL Modem recommendation (Centurylink)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's a lot more to it than dropping some conduit and wire on the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm aware of that. Given you can't go look up construction crews' wages on deepsurplus.com, though, you'll have to math that yourself. I can add one number, again at consumer pricing. I can rent a trencher for a month of conduit burying for $1500. Again, these are relatively small numbers when you consider what they charge rural users for ANY kind of broadband, and the ROI is anything but long-term. These companies are making tens of millions net income. The fact that anyone at all doesn't have access is ridiculous.

Last edited:
There's a lot more to it than dropping some conduit and wire on the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

How's the cell service in your apartment/house?

How does it "seem" any more/less secure?

The local Cox wifi signal sucks.
The number of times the WPS light on my modem starts blinking from yet another scumbag trying to glom on to my wifi signal with his phone, for starters. And the number of times I've seen phones connect to supposedly secure wifi automatically. So far I haven't had the neighbor's phone trying to connect to my ethernet.

Where I'm at we're lucky to have electricity and telephone(copper network). No natural gas, have to use dreadfully expensive propane delivery.

There is NO chance of fiber optic service in this area in my lifetime, the population density is just too low. At one time Verizon promised that fiber optic was going to replace their copper network.

Well, before that pie-in-the-sky dream ever materialized, Verizon sold off their copper network to Frontier Communications.

However, the bandwidth has improved a little, over the last 15 years. Originally was 1.5mg, then 3mb for quite a while. I got Frontier to pipe me 5mb and reduce [overcharged]monthly fee by $15.

Frontier had promised 7mb, but said the old DSL modem was the bottleneck.

When I replace the modem, we'll see how much of the 7mb we can get.

I max out just under 6 Mbps and my bill went up to $68 this month. I'll be picking up a modem on Amazon to cut it back $10 a month, but it's still ridiculous.

How do you download games and play them?

Downloading may be a challenge, but playing is easy. Games don't need bandwidth. They need latency, and DSL kicks the **** out of cable when it comes to latency. Given the latest VDSL2(+) can do 300 Mbps / 100 Mbps, if a DSL provider actually wanted to invest in their network instead of pinching the last penny out of the copper wire, they could kick the crap out of a lot of the lower-tier cable plans, too.

Last edited:
My games are ok, so far. As long as I don't have anything using bandwidth in the background gameplay is fine. Downloading, well, it takes a while. A looooong while. Sometimes over a day.

edit: petteyg beat me to it. :thup:

I feel like I'm interviewing case studies for a Frontline show on people the "internet left behind".

So I'll stop.

Back