• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 600 Slot 1 PIII's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eli

I just bought this setup from a certain Administrator on this board(not named ShadowOO) and I'm excited because it's my first dual system!

The board is a Leadtek Winfast 8000 BX. It has some overclocking options.

Anyone have any advice for running dual slot 1's? I've been looking it up all over, but haven't really found much.

eli said:
I just bought this setup from a certain Administrator on this board(not named ShadowOO) and I'm excited because it's my first dual system!

The board is a Leadtek Winfast 8000 BX. It has some overclocking options.

Anyone have any advice for running dual slot 1's? I've been looking it up all over, but haven't really found much.

Dual 600s...hmmm..

FSB will be 100MHz, dont know how far you will get overlocking it. Does it come w/ RAM? Check to see if it needs Registered and/or ECC RAM.

You will need windows 2000 / XP Pro / Linux / similar to use both CPUs.

David

Welcome to the land of SMP goodness :)

eli said:

Running them how? What do you want to do with it?

Are they 600Es (100FSB) or 600EBs (133FSB)?

I'd say Win2000 pro and decent 512mb (2x256mb) PC133 (since it's a BX any ram should work). A RAID ATA-100 card will boost HD performance, as the BX only supports ATA-33. The latest Creative Audigy drivers finally seem to fix the *snap~crackle~pop* on SMP machines. I'd reccomend a 7500~8500LE for video.

Umm... that's about it off the top of my head.

Oh, use Vidomi (with the Xvid codec) for MP4 instead of Flask.

- JW

I'm not sure whether the CPU's are E's or EB's. I'll just find out when I get here. From what I've read, the E's overclock much better. (Because of the 100 fsb) ATA - 33 is pretty slow, but a card with raid will fix that up.

They're E chips, Newbie_Doo is who sold it to you and it hits 133MHz at stock voltage...you should only have to bump the FSB to 133MHz and you're set.

I was about an inch of buying this a couple weeks ago (wanted it when Skip first put it up for sale several months ago too).

SO you are saything these will do 800 on stock voltage? Thanks awsome! :) I'm excited!

*Giddy with joy*

The P3 600 with Katmai core also has 512kB L2 cache and is a really good server cpu. Even though this CPU is several years old the demand for it is high. They go for $100+ each on ebay, used.

That's interesting Henry ....
How do you feel about the coppermines?

heh :)

indeed the 512k cache on the chips makes them great little crunchers, my gf's 550 cranks out seti units in about 10 hours each, not too shabby for old chips.
And yea 800mhz outta the box aint too shabby :)

Chips on that board are Coppermines to the best of my knowledge. No way a Katmai 600 could do 133MHz at stock voltage...at least it would be an extremely rare case.

I can't guarantee that it will do that for you, just that the two previous owners ran it there quite easily.

I don't know what core they are. I don't really have them yet. I could ask Newbie_Doo, but I bugged him enough already. :)

Henry Rollins II said:
Coppermines on a BX Pentium 2 board? Ok...?

What Vcore do these chips have eli? If it is 1.65 volts its a coppermine, if it is 2.05 its a Katmai.

I've got a SLOT 1 BX Pentium II board that supports up to 1GHz Pentium IIIs.

It's all in the BIOS and the VRMs. If it can support the voltage and the microcode, it'll work. Coppermine's can be anything from 1.5-1.75V depending on the stepping, too.

Taken from Leadtek's site:

Chipset

Intel 440BX PCIset
CPU Support
Dual slot 1 structure
Dual/Single Pentium III 600/550/500/450 MHz processor
Dual/Single Pentium II 450/400/350/333/300/266/233 MHz processor
Single Intel® Celeron® Processor (300/333/366/400Mhz) supported
CPU Speed Switching Voltage Regulator: 1.3V~3.5V

Jon said:

I've got a SLOT 1 BX Pentium II board that supports up to 1GHz Pentium IIIs.

It's all in the BIOS and the VRMs. If it can support the voltage and the microcode, it'll work. Coppermine's can be anything from 1.5-1.75V depending on the stepping, too.

Taken from Leadtek's site:

Yah I know some of the later produced BX boards even works with 133 Mhz fsb cpus. But many of the earlier ones has problems with the coppermines. It works but is really unstable, even though the Vcore is supported by the mobo.

The quote from Leadteks site would indicate that the board doesnt support coppermines...since all listed P3´s are katmai.

So the Katmai cores stopped at 600, and only the katmai chips ran on 100 fsb? That means these HAVE to be katmai chips, and have the 512 kb of L2 cache?

No there is also a Coppermine 600Mhz / 100 Mhz fsb. But the other P3´s listed are all Katmai core. According to leadteks website the board supports multiplier up to 8x, so if it supports the 600 Mhz coppermine why doesnt it support the 800 Mhz coppermine also?

But then again, this is just theory. Maybe the cpus are coppermines and even if they aint maybe the board supports coppermines.

There was a 650 Mhz Katmai, very unusual though. You sometimes find them on ebay.

So i'm owning a piece of Overclockers.com history? :eek:

I'll bronze them! :)

j/k

Yah I know some of the later produced BX boards even works with 133 Mhz fsb cpus
My P2B-D 1.06 D03 will run any PII or PIII made with the 1014 BIOS (Tualatin cores in Powerleap or equivalent slockets).

- JW

Back