• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot 2 single?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verbatim

Howdy. First off I cant program s**t but I have del my win 98 drive and now want to boot straight to win xp. I read somewhere that the file to change is boot.ini.

Is this true?

My currant boot.ini reads:\
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect 1
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

What will I change to get a single boot system?

If I mess up can I just use restore to earlier point in win xp?

Ta

deRusett

Remove the 1 after fastdetect

and remove the line C:\="Microsoft Windows"

this should make it work

you might have to change the
partition(2) in both lines to partition(1) but I don't think that will be needed

Captain U

I had the same problem with win98se and win 2k I'll see if I can find the printout of how to help, I think I lost it though,
also I don't know if this will work because I wanted 98se not 2k but here goes nothing.

I remember that you had to cut C:\="Microsoft Windows" and paste it all the way at the top of the file right above [boot loader]

after that it should automatically boot into windowsXP and you can deleat all the windows 98 files.

Captain U

what you culd do is format the drive and there is a way to clear the mainboard record I think it's "a:/fdisk/ mbr" find out forshore I know there is something like that.