• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot with windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nukeler

Im having trouble getting Fedora 2 to dual boot with windows. I tried installing windows 1st then fedora 2 but theres a know bug where linux messes up the partion table. So now i installed Fedora 2 1st and windows secconds. I have 2 hard drives so i have this structure.

hda1 Linux
hda2 swap
hda3 windows

hdb1 boot

My problem is that i can get linux and windows to boot independentaly if i change which hard drive to boot off in the bios but i cant get grub to boot into windows. When i try to tell it to boot off (hd0,2) it says no such partion. Can someone more linux savy help me out or at least tell me how to install both windows and linux at the same time with dual boot and avoid the know bug that screws up your windows partiton table.

bizhar

Nukeler, had the same problem, i'm at work, i'll send you the link when I get home tonight, Its real easy and you don't have to mess anything up, meaning your win partition will be ok, I was soooo happy when I got it fixed just this past Sat.
I'm posting now so you don't do anything drastic like re-install everything :)

filip04

would it not be possible to take one harddrive out... install xp on the other one.... take the xp drive out, put the other drive in, install fedora, and then put xp drive back in, and from bios chose which one to boot off of?

personally, i wouldn't play with grub or lilo conf.

OP
N

Nukeler

Worked like a dream, thanks a bunch. Acutally i had it setup with bios boot options but i got it to work with grub now :) This might be a thread we want to sticky, as this is a very common issue.

bizhar

personally, i wouldn't play with grub or lilo conf.[/QUOTE]

Thats the beauty of linux. You can play with it if you want that is the whole idea. Of course you can mess stuff up real bad, but thats how you learn. :)

Really though, editing grub, or lilo is no different than editing an rc.local file or anything else.

Here is the best way to put it: its the same as when you first learn that people water cool computers, boy "I wouldn't want to put water in my computer". Then after you take the plunge, its not a big deal.

Remember, you have this whole forum, the internet, and most of all, your brain to get stuff fixed if it is broken. :) Later.