• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Ch = Sorta half the memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marc999

I got the impression, somewhere, that if you are running dual channel, you only really have the capacity of one of the sticks. So if you're running 2 x 512 MB sticks, you only have 512 MB of usable RAM (even though Windows shows 1000 MB of RAM under System). Maybe this would be because one stick is functioning as upload and one as download, as I've seen some MOBO manufactures label their DIMM slots for dual channel boards. Anyway, can someone tell me if this is how it works or not?

Thanks.

Dual channel simply means the RAM can move data on the rising and falling edges of a clock cycle. Effectively twice the bandwidth.

You still would have 1GB of usable RAM in your example.

DanIdentity said:
Dual channel simply means the RAM can move data on the rising and falling edges of a clock cycle. Effectively twice the bandwidth.

You still would have 1GB of usable RAM in your example.

Actually you just discribe how DDR works, not how dual channel works.

Thanks Tebore for straightenning everything out. Like I said, I have no idea where I got that idea, but it looks like I am wrong. But this is one of those instances where it's good to be wrong, becuase that means we don't end up with half our RAM sticks "unusable" in we have a dual channel system!!

Back