• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual core upgrade to quad, maybe even a Ci7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here though your looking at a X chipset even though Lga775 for the most part has its mid range and high end chipsets. i know i just lables LGA775 as midrange cause it is now compared to i7. X chipsets as noted by intel are for highend systems, or extreme chipsets as they want to call them. the comparsion of i5 is more inline with P45 based boards. we might be lucky to see x16/x16 but last i read intel was showing x16/x8 on i5 same as P45. now as far as i recall the CPU i5 can get direct access to the PCIE buss. from what i recall that the now cut down northbridge/southbridge still carries the PCIE lanes.

it just appears we need to wait for official slides from Intel, about how the PCIE setup is going to be for CF/SLI.

I've read that perhaps the i5's direct communication w/ PCIe might give it an advantage in gaming over i7. If you're going to run 3 cards then the i7 will probably still have an advantage due to the number of PCIe lanes, but most people still prefer to run just 1 card (at least I do). The extra bandwidth of tri-channel over dual-channel has no real-world advantage at this time.

It's all speculation, though, until they are released and we see some benchmarks. Should be interesting.

Back