• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual layer dvd burners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pouey

I know dual layer burners just came out pretty recently..are they good enough to pick one up yet? How much is the dual layer media compared with regular media as well? Any burners you guys recommend?

I heard about a dual layer burner that could burn the first layer at full 4X speed and do the second layer at the slower 2.4X. Which I think is really good cause most Dual Layer Drives only do 2.4X on both layers. Don't remember which brand but a quick search should bring it up. If you need speed it's something to look for.

newegg.com has a Sony one for $136-OEM, what I want to know is if dual layer media is even available.

2,4x first layer - 1x second layer and supposedly on some test the last 100mb or so was unreadble - personally i would say wait - not to mention blanks are about $10US.

Dual layer media is still expensive. Its over $10 a disc. However if you want a DVD burner now there is no reason not to get one that has dual layer support or that can be flashed to support dual layer. The Lite-On 812S can be bought for $70 at newegg and flashed to an 832S which will burn dual layer. The NEC 2500 is also another one that can be flashed to burn dual layer. Its also very possible that once 4x dual layer comes out these drives can be flashed to 4x DL.

I wouldn't get the Sony unless you can find it cheaper than the Lite-On. The Sony DRU-700A dual layer drive is just a rebadged Lite-On 832S.

I have the NEC-2501A burner.. firmware is hacked to remove riplock and regian code.

bestbuy has a DVD-DL Solution kit, which includes 1 DVD-DL. I have tested a few of them, and it burns a DL disk at 2.4

DVD-DL media??? I can't even find 12x DVD+R media!! I'm looking into buying a burner soon, and it's between one that can do single layer at 12x, or one that can do DL, but only 8x single layer. The ability to write double would be nice, but 2.4x would probably be slow. At that point I'd probably just make 2 single layer dvd's!

And are there 2 types of dl media floating around? Lite-on called it DVD+R9 and NEC called it DVD-DL. Ones called dual layer, and the other is called double layer or something??? Is this sorta like DVD-R vs DVD+R or what?

DVD-R9 and DVD-DL are all the same thing. Good luck on trying to find media that will actully burn at 12x. Its hard to find 8x media that will burn at that speed with no errors. A Good place to read up on info is www.cdfreaks.com

Burning a DVD at 8x takes about 10 minutes. Burning at 12x takes around 8 minutes. Thats not a big enough difference for me to pay extra for 12x burners and 12x media. Especially when I only buy 4x media since its cheaper than 8x and can often be burned at 8x anyway. 4x media takes about 15 minutes to burn.

Dual layer does take a long time though. I think its around an hour to burn a full disc at 2.4x Plus its expensive. I havn't seen 12x media for sale yet, but I haven't really looked either.

Well Acer and Aopen arew coming out with 16x DVD burners :d

and yes - it is a cool thing with the optical serial ata drives - there was rumour they would not work on current SerialATA connections - unles su have the ICHM 6 or what ever - what is in the new intel chpset but i emailed plextor and they say their drives will work in ALL serial ATA connections on boards old and new.

and Dermen - yes 2 is an hour and dont forget! that is only 2.4 for the first layer!!! then 1x speed for the second layer!! so 3 hours to burn 9g!!!! - i woudl ratehr just split thing to 2 dvd disk and burn @ 8x each..lol and be done with it.

I dont know who told you it takes 3 hours to burn 8.7gb on a DVD, Ihave a DVD-DL burner and some media to go with it, it only took 1 hour or so to do the full disk.

I just bought me a DRU 700A, tis pretty sweet i must say.

well i really dont see the point of serial optical drives, they cant even utilize the extra bandwith. It just looks pretty and saves space and thats about it; those are good enough reasons to get them if u are looking to buy a new optical drive, but i don't think that I would by a serial drive now that I have the sony.... The supposed performance is negligable.

Back