• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Maxijet 300gph or single Eheim 1250?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metalloid15

Registered
I found that an Eheim 1250 would cost just a few dollars more than two Maxijet 300gph's. So what would be better to get?

If I run the two Maxijets in series, I would get more pressure than if I ran the Eheim, and they are both rated for the same flow. Also, if I went with the two Maxijets I would have a backup just in case one died. I know that Eheims are supposed to be very reliable, but I figure that there is less of a chance of both of my maxijets dying than one Eheim.

What do you guys think?

OP
M

Metalloid15

Registered
There is one other possibility. I know some people have said that Via Aquas are junk, but I could run 3 of them in series for cheaper than the two Maxijets or the Eheim. That would be a lot of extra pressure, and I can't imagine all 3 of them failing at the same time.

So what do I choose?

GoingH2o

3 pumps in series? you're kidding me right :rolleyes:

Just go with the eheim 1250 ;)

I am using the 1250 with a cpu block and gpu block,never had a problem (touch wood). The vibration (its barely bearable) can be dampened by putting those foam sheets that come with motherboard. Use velcro to attach the pump

Maxijets or Via Aqua are not my options

A Danner Mag pump would be my next one if this eheim ever fails

OP
M

Metalloid15

Registered
No I am not joking about 3 pumps in series. Is it really that ridiculous?

I just don't see any reason in spending 3x as much money just to get a certain brand of pump that is "more reliable," when I could spend that same amount of money and get 3 times the pressure and 3 times the reliability by buying 3 cheaper pumps.

snyper1982

your not getting 3 times the reliability, cause if your using all 3 at the same time, odds are one or all will fail before the ehiem, just my .02

OP
M

Metalloid15

Registered
snyper1982 said:
your not getting 3 times the reliability, cause if your using all 3 at the same time, odds are one or all will fail before the ehiem, just my .02

Could you please explain why?

OP
M

Metalloid15

Registered
And if one of my Via's does die, I can replace it for much cheaper than I could replace an Eheim.

I have made up my mind, 3 Via Aquas in series it is. I was thinking about going:
resevoir->pump1->pump2->rad->blocks->pump3->resevoir

snyper1982

well because you arent keeping one running all the time and having the other 2 as spares, so all 3 are running. now if you were to do it like that, then yeah, i would say that it would probably last longer. i know eheims die as well, but an eheim is much less likely to.

[EG]~NaTz~

well here is what u have to look @, the via aquas put out a lot of heat while the maxis dont. maxis are reliable as are eheims and via's. the maxi's get a little bit warm externally and tend to heat the water slightly more than a eheim. if u are running a heater core before the water block the heat will not be an issue when using 2 maxi's, but if u use 3 via aqua 1300's it will be almost 60-70 watts of heat extra. oh and via aqua 1300's cost 3 dollars less than maxi jet 1200's so it would be a close price. i would go with 2 maxi-jets, and call it a day. i feel that when u buy a name u are buying a lack in gph, a name, and a good bit of reliability. i will give you that. these pumps are reliable.

gizxmo

Registered
i am concidering 2xmaxis going into their own radiator then into a Y connection to the cpu
might do it as these are really cheap and are small

OP
M

Metalloid15

Registered
Natz, where are you getting Maxi's from so that they are $3 more than Via's? I can get the Via's for $15 a piece off of ebay. If you can show me a good deal on the Maxi's I might get them instead.

And I am putting the heatercore after the pumps so the pumps won't add to the water temp.

masitti

3 pumps in a series? Bud, don't waste your money. Get 1 pump, and a program that can shut down your computer if the temps go too high. It's as easy as that. There is no reason, at all, to run 3 pumps in a series... even 2 pumps is pretty useless. You aren't getting any extra flow because it is in a series, so don't waste your money.