• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Modems/Multilink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Was wondering about using dual modems on dialup. I did a search but couldnt really find any good info. In my area there is no broadband available except satellite and wireless. Cable was suppost to be available this month, but now they are telling me end of Feb or so. I want to improve my connection now though.
I have two phone lines that I can use, and my isp supports multilinking for an addition $5 a month. Was just wondering what kind of connection improvement can I expect? Right now I connect at 26,400 and download at 2.4k a sec. Also does the modem type matter? Im planing on picking up 2 US Robotics PCI modems.

Thanks

Expect almost double. Multilinking will basically create a pipe double the size (as opposed to most other types of network multi-links).

I wouldn't expect exactly double, but it should be fairly close.

Diamond used to make a single PCI card with 2 modems on it for just this purpose, was called Diamond Shotgun if i Rember right, it was awhile ago. Anyway I think any 2 modems would work but you need a program that would link to two connections into one, not sure if XP does this by itself now but when I was thinking of doing this I still had Win 98 and that didnt. Anyways theres probably some freeware out there for this just do a google search for shotgun modems or dual modems and you should get tons of info.

It might be worth your money to get hardware modems. I have two identicle machines. One with a Win modem and the other with a hardware modem. They are both in the same house and use the same phone line. The hardware modem connects at about 40 Kbps and the other at 28.8.

On another machine, when I had a Winmodem, the CPU load would hover at 20 -30% used while connected and I would connect at 46- 48 Kbps. I upgraded that to a hardware modem and the CPU stayed at its usual 7 -9% idle usage even when connected. Additionally, I connected at 52 Kbps almost every time.

Additionally, even a brand name Winmodem uses a lot of CPU cycles. Put two Winmodems in one box and I hate to think what it's doing to the CPU.

Hardware modems are always best since they dont suck soo much rescources as a winmodem. I agree with don get the hardware ones, since I too had both types before I got cable. Hardware modems are the way to go.

What are some hardware ones? Only one I know if is the US Robotics Performance Pro for around $70-$90 ...lil more then I wanna spend on dialup.

This is the one that I got:
USR 2976

I like it just fine. Some of the reviews for it show that it is not perfect. It is older and not supported by USR as it is an OEM model. I use it in XP Pro. It's even $6 less than when I bought it. Hope that this helps.

So the 2976 is a hardware modem? How can you tell which modems are hardware by looking at em?

Thanks

Rockwell was/is the best chipset, followed by motorola and even further distant lucent. There may be some others, but not worth mentioning.

Back