• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual monitor help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssspy007

Disabled
I just installed mandrake 9.0, i am new to linux altogether and in winxp i was runnin my laptop screen and a 17in crt. my graphics card if u can call it that is a S3 savage 8mb :eek: i am also runnin kde if this helps too. also i really dont know if its possible but i am hopin i dont haveta experience linux on a 12.1 screen :rolleyes: thanxs!

XWRed1

You tried fiddling with the actual key on the keyboard to toggle between external video? To do multiple desktop stuff in software, you're gonna have to hope that the S3 driver makes provisions for that, otherwise you are sol.

OP
ssspy007

ssspy007

Disabled
thanks for the reply but i was tryin to stretch the desktop across both of the monitors instead of just havin the same image on both screens or just one, is there n e way to do that ? thank u for the reply :)

XWRed1

You aren't gonna be able to stretch the display unless the S3 driver lets you.

XWRed1

I'm pretty sure the reason that that works is because the Radeon driver supports it. Same for Matrox.

OP
ssspy007

ssspy007

Disabled
thanxs for the reply and the support snowmobile. i hope it is possible and i am gonna play with it and see if i can get it to work. My roommate has a ti4200. does n e one have n e experience with a dual monitor setup with that video card? all and all i am lovin linux :)

XWRed1

Twinview on Nvidia boards is documented pretty well in Nvidia's readme.

snowmobile74

this has nothing to do with drivers dude its a feature of X, implimented as of version 4.

btw I went through the how-to and did it works fine with my 2 nVidia cards and it would just as easily work with 2 divrent video cards assuming they are supported by lux

XWRed1

Using multiple monitors with multiple video cards is a part of X, yes. I use it myself. Multiple monitors with a single video card isn't, and its reliant on the driver for that video card. As is demonstrated in the Radeon and Nvidia drivers. Ssspy sounded like he was planning on using Twinview with a single Ti4200, not Xinerama with multiple cards.

OP
ssspy007

ssspy007

Disabled
thanxs for all ur help its been informative :) after all the only way to learn is to try , rite? so to sum up this thread it is possible ro do with two video cards,but it is very hard to impossible to do with one video card if the drivers dont support it? sooo basically i am sol since their is not an option in my system

Richard

I'm a little confused by what it is that you're trying to do. Please be very explicit. You've mentioned that you have an S3 8 MB card. What other video cards do you have?

As Red has said (hah that rhymes) multi-monitor with twinview supported NV cards is a very easy thing.

It isn't really all that difficult with multiple cards either.

OP
ssspy007

ssspy007

Disabled
I am tryin to stretch the desktop across both monitors. This is how i had win xp setup so one monitor had a start menu and the other one was just another desktop. so my resolution was something like 1600x600(it wasnt really that, each one was 800X600) and i did this with my s3 savage, it was drivin both my lcd and my crt and i was wondering if i could do the same thing in linux

snowmobile74

oh I im sory I didnt realize he had only 1 video card he he well you could try adapting the nvida stuff to your card but it probably wont work

OP
ssspy007

ssspy007

Disabled
:( well atleast i can just out the video to my crt and crank up the resolution. i will keep this in mind when i build a new puter. Thanxs for all the help though :)