• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gixxer420

I have a 9800 pro and was wanting to setup dual monitors. My uncle also has the same card but he told me that he had to add another video card to get it to work. But I notice that there is to connectors for monitors on the card. Can I not hook up 2 monitors to this 1 card or must I have another card in the pci slot for the 2nd monitor.

Yes, you are right.

You can hook up two monitors to that card to get Dual Display, a second pci card is not needed.

One to the VGA out and one to the DVI out.

Al

You can either hook up one CRT and one FP monitor w/DVI, or buy a cheap DVI->VGA adapter ($10) and hook up two CRTs. I am currently pushing a 19" and a 17" CRT with a 9800 and a DVI-VGA adapter.

thank you all. I told him that the card had 2 out puts. But he was like so it don't work that way you have to have a 2nd card. I'll give it a try this weekend

the adapter came with my 9800pro, sapphire :) I'm gonna try it out soon, but I don't have room for 2 monitors lol

yea dual monitor is fun there were a few old games that supported extra monitors in them. I remember my friend set up 3 monitors when he was playing Quake 1, and he could see almost all around himself. Dont think theres any newer games that support it tho. It does help to have 2 though, good luck. Make sure you go into the advanced settings and set up to have dual monitors.

I use dual monitors also, but i like having an additional PCI video card for the second monitor because i frequently display my desktop onto a TV in the living room. When outputting to the s-video port as well as the dual monitors, the second display shuts off, which can be quite annoying. So if you want dual monitors, and to use your s-video out functions all at the same time, get an additional PCI vid card.

You do not need any additional graphics card. I had a 21'' old tube monitor and this 1800FP LCD on there no problems... although mixing tube and LCD isn't the best of performance and quality (the tube suffers).

You can always get a KVM(A) if you don't feel like shelling out the bucks for a second monitor....well, alright you kinda need 2+ comps too.

already got a kvm with 4 computers hook up to it.Plus I've got 3 other monitors in the closet. I was just gonna hook dual monitors to my main box for when I have to write a paper or I'm studying or may just need some extra room on my screen.

I am running a 17" FP and a 17" crt fine. I use my second moniter to run chat apps while I game so my friends can leave me messages and stuff, I also put system monitering programs on that side, or I use it to display the milkdrop plugin for Winamp.

been there, done that...

Okey, here is the menu for today:

1 ati AGP card with two output plugs: 1 CRT monitor, 1 TFT screen, 1 TV out or you can use the adapter (included with the card) and use 2 CRT monitors.

1 Nvidea PCI card with one output plug: 1 CRT monitor.

TOTAL: 3 monitor desktop!

mayagrafix said:
TOTAL: 3 monitor desktop!
Been running 3 monitors myself for nearly 2 months now.

2x 21" sony trinitrons
1x Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD

The middle trinitron and the LCD are powered by my 9800pro (soon to be x800XT) and the trinitron on the left is powered by a matrox pci card.

Yay for desktop space :attn:

DSCF0243.JPG

Back