• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU plug-ins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, Ive been working on a dual case mod and adding in a dual PSU on here as well. Now, I can find the mods needed to be able to get the 2nd PSU to start upon the starting of primary PSU. So that, I am not worried about to much. Although I am sure Ill need some help on that too.

Now, what I am interested in learning about is on newer PSU's and on the dual boards there are the 3 spots for the power to be connected too. Now, on the board there is the 3 spots, is there a way that I can plug in the 2nd PSU onto the motherboard in the other spots?

Im not to positive but I thought the molex was to supply power to the vrm correct? If so, can I keep the 5 & 12v rails up to par?

At present my 5v has a tendency to be slightly low, so could I (once the dual psu mod is done) put the 2nd psu's board connections onto the board? So the 4 part and the molex from the 2nd psu go onto the board, while the 1st psu's atx connects?

Im thinking this makes sense. So can anyone answer this for me?

Henry Rollins II

IFMU said:

At present my 5v has a tendency to be slightly low, so could I (once the dual psu mod is done) put the 2nd psu's board connections onto the board? So the 4 part and the molex from the 2nd psu go onto the board, while the 1st psu's atx connects?

Im lost here, what are you trying to say?

I think you could use both psu´s to drive your motherboard. However Im not so sure it would make any difference though. Remember that every voltage has a maximum output.
BTW what mobo are we talking about here?

If not, you could at least let one PSU handle the motherboard and the other one the rest. Harddrives consumes a lot power.

Check your psu´s specications and calculate what will be the best usage for your dual psu setup.

Last edited:
OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
In the image attached, there are 3 connections on the motherboard. (Sorry, Tyan Tiger 2466 Board)
Now, in the regular ATX, can I put in my Raidmax500 then in the molex and the other (the squared port) could I put in the connections from my Antec True 430 PSU (i.e. 2nd PSU).
That make better sense?

OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Right, but can I use the other 2 from the 2nd PSU. Not the primary is what Im curious about. Ive been using all 3 as well, but off of the primary PSU.

Henry Rollins II

IFMU said:
In the image attached, there are 3 connections on the motherboard. (Sorry, Tyan Tiger 2466 Board)
Now, in the regular ATX, can I put in my Raidmax500 then in the molex and the other (the squared port) could I put in the connections from my Antec True 430 PSU (i.e. 2nd PSU).
That make better sense?

? Hm Isnt the ATX connector a Molex?

Im sorry, but are you planning to use a 430w + a 500 w psu? What on earth are you going to do, connect a barbeque grill to it?!

Henry Rollins II

Ok, here is what I suggest for you:
Use one of your PSU´s for the motherboard only. There is no way it could consume more than any of your two psu´s could produce.
Use the other one for driving fans/harddrives/CD/DVD etc.

OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Henry Rollins II said:

? Hm Isnt the ATX connector a Molex?

Im sorry, but are you planning to use a 430w + a 500 w psu? What on earth are you going to do, connect a barbeque grill to it?!
LoL. Well I will at least for now,
Tyan Tiger 2466 Board
2 x 1.3 Durons
512 ECC Reg mem
Gainward GF2 Ti/450 (AGP)
Radeon 7000 (PCI)
DVD Player
CDRW
2x20g RAID0 ( will be adding more in there eventually)
10g OS Drive
(?13g storage? Undecided)
Blue Cold Cathod
Sound reactive UV
2x90 fans
2 x 120 fans

Thats the list for the moment. Possible upgrade with more, so yea, a 500 and a 430 PSU.

Now, what will be connected to what.
500 Raidmax
board (everything onboard there, duh LoL)
10g OS Drive
CPU, video and chipset fans
(What I want is (see pic) 1 on this one)

2 x 120 fans
2 x 90 fans
CC
Sound light
dvd
cdrw
raid drives
(What I want (see pic) 2 and 3 from this one)

Henry Rollins II

IFMU said:

LoL. Well I will at least for now,
Tyan Tiger 2466 Board......aproxx 5-6 watts
2 x 1.3 Durons.....60 watts [email protected] 1.75 v (each)
512 ECC Reg mem.......One stick? 10 watts
Gainward GF2 Ti/450 (AGP)...........10 watts
Radeon 7000 (PCI)............10 watts
DVD Player.........20 watts MAX...<1 w idle
CDRW........" " " "
2x20g RAID0 ( will be adding more in there eventually).......5400 rpm? 40 watts max each(startup)......20-25 watts working
10g OS Drive..............slower than 5400? well 40 for that one too
(?13g storage? Undecided)...............40 watts
Blue Cold Cathod.............4 watts
Sound reactive UV.........5 watts?
2x90 fans.......cfm?...Power cooler 74cfm(a lot)....3.5 watts each
2 x 120 fans........cfm?....YS tech 125 cfm.....8.5 watts each

Im getting 389 watts total, on startup with all four harddrives and cd + dvd spinning at the same time.

EDIT: According to this test: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/powersupplies-13.html
an Antec 380 should do this without breaking a sweat. Your 430 is propably even more powerful.

Last edited:
OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Henry Rollins II said:
Im getting 389 watts total, on startup with all four harddrives and cd + dvd spinning at the same time.

EDIT: According to this test: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/powersupplies-13.html
an Antec 380 should do this without breaking a sweat. Your 430 is propably even more powerful.

Well if thats true, then why is it that my 5v is almost always low? It was low with just the Antec True 430 and with the Raidmax 500.

Dont think I got 2 PSU's with that problem there.... ???

OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Not that I have noticed no. But I will be adding in a few more components soon so theres no telling before then. Or even after I get more later on.

OP
IFMU

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
LoL, yea but thats ok. I always have music or tv card playing. So sound doesnt bug me. heh

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Some motherboards always report the voltages low. My Tyan 2460 does. I tried three different PSU, all over 500 watts. It always reported the 5V below 4.9. The thing has never been unstable, though. In fact, it has never crashed once since I set it up.

I learned to live with the voltage it was reporting. If the system is stable, who cares?

If you're really curious, get a voltmeter and measure the 5V DC off of one of your molex connectors. I wouldn't be surprised if it reads over 5 volts.