• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU's and cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waldaize

Registered
When i set up my water cooling system i was thinking of using 2 PSU's.

1 to run my mobo/CPU and peltier and 1 to run my case fans, radiator fan and drives. The reason is so i can set MBM to shut my system down if i am away and the temp rises above a certain threshold due to pump failure or whatever else.

I'm assuming my 300W power supply would supply enough watts to run the mobo/cpu and peltier (my 152W peltier is rated @ 15.6V am i right in thinking that a lower voltage, i.e 12V will still run it but at a reduced wattage?), and this PSU would shut down the peltier along with the mobo/cpu courtesy of MBM.

Now ive never ran a PC with a 2nd PSU, so have i got it all wrong there as ive just attched my fans to the 2nd one and they wont run.

Do i have to short the mobo connector on the 2nd PSU somehow to get it to run a voltage through the 4 pin 12V connectors?

Big thanks to everyone who's offered advice so far, and big thanks for the future as i have lots more questions.

wal :)

The pelt will draw about 120W at 12V.

Not sure about the second PS. There are some write-ups about using such a set-up on the main page. From what i understand it is best to mat an atx ps with an AT PS, which can be found very cheaply. There is a way to join them by connecting a few wires, so that they start up and shut down together.

Yo

Yo

for dual atx psu's join the green one to a black one, but how do you get an at one to work?

Back