• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual sound cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bill

I want to run a dual sound card/speaker system. i know it works but can someone give me the low down on what to do & not to do? same cards, diffrent cards? i dont want two independent systems but one massive surround system. i have a klipsch 5.1
promedia set and i want to add a second complete set of the same or better. thanks. :)

Last edited:

seamadan000

I don't know if that is possible. My system only sends info to the either the onboard sound or my card, depending on the settings I have choosen. It could be possible with sound cards, but I am not sure.

In any case, I don't know what the advantage would be (exept in the sub area) as you aren't going to get any more sound information, it would be the exact same sound, except with more speakers.

just my 2 cents

mfjonny

I don't think you can run two soundcards simultaneously. Windows XP only uses one sound decoder source to relay sound info... If you check under Sound Control, you can see that you can choose only one source/output for sound. I use the onboard Soundstorm on my board, and I also use a Plantronics USB headset which has its own external soundcard built into the set. I have to manually choose between either the soundstorm or the Plantronics soundcard to output sound.

OP
bill

bill

I've seen a few articals on doing it and the hardest part about it they claim is getting cards that wont conflict & getting them insinc. i was just looking for some first hand expertise. thank anyway. ill have to look for a site aimed @ audiopyles.

cack01

Can you post the articles you have found. I'm intrested to see how its done. Two identical devices using one driver seems so odd to me, even though it should work no problem.

PatrickBateman

"should work no problem"?

Should work; no problem.

should work? No. Problem!

same card... same words... same meaning? No.
I see potential failure.

Why, again, do you want to hood up 2 complete speaker systems running different sounds at the same time?

{PMS}fishy

Dude you can just get a splitter for the audio signals.

Go to Radio Shack and bring $5

cack01

PatrickBateman said:

"should work no problem"?

Should work; no problem.

should work? No. Problem!

same card... same words... same meaning? No.
I see potential failure.

You confused me for a good 30 seconds. :)

It probably depends on how windows handles the driver.

EDIT: I have done some reading, and there is only one problem I have found that occurs in Linux but I bet happens in windows too. The problem, is that when the guy tried to install two identical sound cards, the drivers would try to ocupy the same memory location, thus causing an error.

The other problem, I have experienced personally. Sometimes my web cam messes up, and I will manually have to close the program through the task manager. When I try to use the camera again, I will get an error that says "capture driver is currently being used by another device", does this mean that a driver can only be used by one device.

Last edited:

Turd Furguson

I believe there are plugins for Winamp that allow you to have open 2 Winamps at once. I never tried it but I think you can do it if you wanna DJ. Might be handy for you I dunno.

PatrickBateman

multiple instances of Winamp, sure. But porting each Winamp to a different soundcard, that's something else (I expect).

You can run multiple instances of Winamp by simply adjusting its settings (there's a box to check for it).

yeah, DJ'ing would require several outputs, but they probably use special cards.