• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Video cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

i have an AGP card and a PCI card, 2 monitors 1 in each, so i have 2 monitors and can span windows across them both and move my moust ove rhte other, its nice cuz of all the desksapce. win98 and up can do it as far as i know, just have 2 cards that are both compatible and plug the monitors in then go into video proprties- settings- selsect the secont monitor and check "extend my screen to this monitor" :D

JDXNC

I am going the same, I like being able to have Outlook open all the time and my winamp playlist on one monitor while I sure on the other monitor... its a real nice experience.... I won't go single again, ever.

flux

many cards now come with dual heads too, so you can plug 2 monitors into the same card. I can't speak for any other cards, but nVidia supply nView which handles dual (or more) screens pretty well.

flux

well yo ucould probably use an AGP card if your mobo had 2 agp slots

I've asked before about dual AGP boards somewhere, and no-one seems to know of any in existance. And an alarming number can't understand why I'd want one! If this situation has changed, please let me know.

JDXNC

flux said:
many cards now come with dual heads too, so you can plug 2 monitors into the same card. I can't speak for any other cards, but nVidia supply nView which handles dual (or more) screens pretty well.

ATI uses a program called Hydravision, I have a Radeon 7000 whith dual head and it works ok.

CrashOveride

flux said:

I've asked before about dual AGP boards somewhere, and no-one seems to know of any in existance. And an alarming number can't understand why I'd want one! If this situation has changed, please let me know.

lol ya, they arent there as far as i know and as of the moment no software support for 2 AGP cards.. i dont know why you would want one either- you would only play a game on one moitor anyways... maybe 3, but 2 would be goofy...

just use PCI cards they are cheaper and will work for anythign you throw at them short of some games...

oh maybe not 3d rendering stuff though :-/ didnt think of htat

flux

Actually I do some 3d work. Also why not have 2 monitors for games? Imagine BF1942 - running around shooting stuff on one screen, with the map, commands and comm log on the other. I know its not actually possible, but thats not the point :p

In actuality, it is simply a case of hating PCI. The way to make computers faster is to widen bottlenecks. The PCI bus is a bottleneck when it comes to graphics. It's a silly notion I know, but I like silly. And it would be cool.

CrashOveride

flux said:
Actually I do some 3d work. Also why not have 2 monitors for games? Imagine BF1942 - running around shooting stuff on one screen, with the map, commands and comm log on the other. I know its not actually possible, but thats not the point :p

In actuality, it is simply a case of hating PCI. The way to make computers faster is to widen bottlenecks. The PCI bus is a bottleneck when it comes to graphics. It's a silly notion I know, but I like silly. And it would be cool.

but wouldnt it be goofy to have the crosshair half wat on 2 monitors? well it would! lol

flux

but wouldnt it be goofy to have the crosshair half wat on 2 monitors? well it would! lol

I know, I know, but surely there would be a way of restricting the fps part to one mon, and just dispalying info in the other.

flux

As I said, like the map, team stats, comm log, stuff that is normally displayed in pop up overlays.

CrashOveride

oh right... they would have to right support for that, but it would be cool :D

though you might be able to write a 3rd party program that would do that... not sure though you woul dhave to havge access to variables liek that...