• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual XP now vs dual Hammer next year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kopfab

I'm planning to get a new comp Christmas, and I wondered wether it makes more sense to get dual XPs now or to get dual Hammers as soon as they are out. Anyone know if the Hammer will be available as SMP right at launch or a few months later ?
Thanks for you help

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
It will be later.

The first Hammer they are releasing is the single-CPU style Hammer.

If I were you, I'd buy a dual XP system now, then wait a while. I think the dual Hammer systems are going to be outrageously expensive for quite a while.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Too early to tell because the Clawhammer is vaporware, the Sledgehammer only a little less so.

The deciding factor should be, when do you need it?

Henry Rollins II

cmcquistion said:
According to this and many other stories, the initial Clawhammer will be a single-CPU only solution.

Ok? I cant get that link to work. I read a few PDF files from AMD´s site, there it looks like Clawhammer is dual capable whereas the Sledgehammer can be used in 8-cpu configuration.

In any way it would propably be safe to say that all Hammers will be very expensive on release and propably some time after that too. Dual XP2000 and a new mobo is about $400. My guess is that you propably cannot buy dual Hammers even close to that price for, say, the next two years.

Goo Kenson

The Sledgehammer, the server chip, will be released first. That would kick some serious *** in any system, but I bet the mobos will be REALLY ****ing expensive...the thing has what, 900 something pins?

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
The Sledge is designed to put the smack down in the Itanium^2, so chances are it'll be close to a thousand bucks a chip.

tbirdkiri

yep, its meant to pwn the Itanium market.

my insider says the chip itself will be mildly expensive (think 3ghz p4), its the boards that are gonne get you, a dual board is gonna go for about 350, and a 8way board is gonna cost you the down on a car...