• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duct directly to CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

OK here is yet another of BM's crazy ideas. (methinks English air is good for my brain)

What if we were to take of the fan of our cpu heatsink? *the crowd yells no!!!* and make a nice little hole in the back of the case, fitting the cpu fan exactly, put the fan in the nice new hole. And make a duct, from whatever cerealbox =), from that fan, directly to the cpu heatsink.
* "aah, Im beginning to understand" The crowd says*
So the fan would take air directly from the outside of the case and through a duct to the heatsink.

Easily done with a dremel and a cap'n crunchys breakfast cereal or whatever, and some duct tape =) what else.

Input please!

BM sees himself take the biggest 120*120 fan he can find with LOADS of cfm, or maybe a centrifugal blower, or maybe a turbopropfan, or anything bigger than would fit the regular heatsink. and make a V shaped duct from that to the heatsink... some 150 or more cfm through the cpu heatsink :D

i think your second idea is better, i'm running a duct rite now and it helps quite a bit, you can leave the fan on the heatsink and just run the duct to your sidecase cover cut a hole to fit your duct i folded the cardboard over the outside of the sidecase cover and then put on a screen made from a car speaker cover screwed it on and this hold's the duct in place then when you want to put it on just put your sidecase cover on by putting the duct around the fans and then just pop it on it beats having to take the duct on and off everytime you open up your case. ive also tried putting another fan on the entrance to the duct to help push air in but i did not get a 1C drop in temps, instead of running a big fan just run a delta and use the silicone trick to keep it quiet and your in business. I swear by my duct ambient temp is 27C and CPU temp is 29C

goodluck

Outhouse has the right idea and remember just like a car intake the turbulance for ducting my counter effect the increased air flow so keep the fan on the heatsink.

if your gonna duct anyway, y take the angle? y not go directly to side of case?

that's what i'm gonna do, get myself a nick 120 mm fan pushing about 65 cfm (approximately) and feed it directly to HS via PVC piping from Home Depot. :).

nice hole in side of case w/ fan guard and your set to go. :).

outhouse (Jul 08, 2001 07:26 p.m.):
i think your second idea is better, i'm running a duct rite now and it helps quite a bit, you can leave the fan on the heatsink and just run the duct to your sidecase cover cut a hole to fit your duct i folded the cardboard over the outside of the sidecase cover and then put on a screen made from a car speaker cover screwed it on and this hold's the duct in place then when you want to put it on just put your sidecase cover on by putting the duct around the fans and then just pop it on it beats having to take the duct on and off everytime you open up your case. ive also tried putting another fan on the entrance to the duct to help push air in but i did not get a 1C drop in temps, instead of running a big fan just run a delta and use the silicone trick to keep it quiet and your in business. I swear by my duct ambient temp is 27C and CPU temp is 29C

goodluck

WOW! I must say...that has to be the longest rant/ramble i have had the pleasure to read in a long time! You managed to combine about 50 sentances into TWO!
LOL
I'm not criticizing, I was just confused the first time I read it, but found it quite humorous afterwards.

WE iz not reel biG on gRammer herE but if you ReAd cloSe enough you will learn something. :)

I never said i graduateed highschool! :)

once again, that wasn't mean to be offensive...it was just humorous from my point of view. and spelling and grammar dont make a lick of difference to me either. i just had to comment because i got the mental image of dennis leary in one of his rants where he never pauses for breath and just keep goin on and on and on...

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing....
Already got a 120mm hole directly over the CPU. However im to low on funds to buy a good fan (gonna buy the panaflo that does 68 cfm @ 30db).
I'll post results once i got the thing in!

please keep us updated, thnx :)

Back