• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ductape=god

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

a few weeks ago my friend got a new HDD from his dad that was lyin around so he gave me his old one which is a godsend since i now have someithing with actual space on it. Taking it out of the cage, the foil on it ripped (its a WD) and looking in it platters were visible!!!!!!!!. THis was a smal rip. I patched it with a piece of duct tape and to my amazement it works quite well. This is amazing, its no hdd mod and instead of having no top, it had a small 1 inchx1cm tear in foil on the side but it still exposed the platters. As to the construction of a drive using foil only to cover an area as sensitive as that, im disapointed with WD.

adelphia83

I'm quite suprised that sucker is still going. I remember trying to kill older drives I had by doing something similar, just to see what it would take.

It seemed any time I exposed the platters, it spelled instant death to the drive, or lots of bad sectors (tried this on a variety of drives WD, IBM, Quantum, etc).

Be sure to run scandisk with the through option. Or use chkdsk in WinXP or Win2k: (chkdsk c: /R /F)

OP
Zerileous

Zerileous

ya i know, iv had it running for a few weeks no probs at all, done the thourough scandisk too. I was amazed. And i know that trusty duct tape will keep a good seal on there (and a stronger one that that **** foil at that)

Blueacid

Now theres the thing that I don't understand - I took apart a 250meg Maxtor, and put it back together, ran Scandisk surface scan and it was FINE! Not a single error!

I tried it again with an old 4.3gig Seagate... FINE!

This is without any precautions, just the drive, my desk, and some tools...

...and my room is far from clean :D