• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dude-My Dad bought a Dell.......:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
He doesn't listen to a thing I say......

2.4GHz P4 (hey! 2.4GHz! That's faster than my XP1500 running at 1.66GHz! :rolleyes: No it's not, dad.....)

1 Gigabyte of Memory! (Yeah, but its PC133 SDRAM. That'll choke your system....)

GeForce 2 MX400 graphics card! (Fair enough on that one - the most avanced game he plays is the original Microshaft Flight Simulator)

I had him lined up nicely for a (cheaper) XP2100 system as well.....

CharlesHF

reddeathdrinker said:
He doesn't listen to a thing I say......

2.4GHz P4 (hey! 2.4GHz! That's faster than my XP1500 running at 1.66GHz! :rolleyes: No it's not, dad.....)

1 Gigabyte of Memory! (Yeah, but its PC133 SDRAM. That'll choke your system....)

GeForce 2 MX400 graphics card! (Fair enough on that one - the most avanced game he plays is the original Microshaft Flight Simulator)

I had him lined up nicely for a (cheaper) XP2100 system as well.....

Well, at least Steve will help him with his computer quandries. (sp?) ;)

OSUmaxx

I think Dells are fine for people who just want a non-tweakable, reliable computer. Throughout my family, we have a few of them and have never had a single problem. I still would rather build my own, but that's because I can do it... not everyone wants to try.

krm197

Registered
Right, it really comes down to the amount of time a person wants to spend when getting a computer. It's definitely easier to just place an order, and forget about it until it arrives at your door.

Although building computers is alot of fun, it can be a hassle to, getting all the parts together.

triflux

Disabled
Dell's are not that bad at all, especially if your dad is not going to take it to the max or anything.

I had a friend who said he was going to buy a dell so we built him a badass computer for half the price and his computer is running like a god still on. I think if you know what you are doing ofcourse putting it together would be much better.

metra

Dells arent that bad... Not everyone builds a comp or has enough money to get alienware or something. Anyway, theres one thing i dont get: how is an oced xp1500 faster than a p4 2.4ghz?

Yodums

funnyperson1 said:
that would actually a decent system if it werent for the SDRAM and the MX

Yeh, don't know what those people who customize those pre-customized machines for people in their catelogue was thinking putting a top of the line chip with SDR and a MX card. I would drop back to like a 1.8 GHz or maybe even a 1.6 GHz to get a better mobo + DDR or something.

But on the other hand.. think of the profit they make.

Yodums

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
how is an oced xp1500 faster than a p4 2.4ghz?

RDD's system most definently trounces that P4 system. :p

Yeh, don't know what those people who customize those pre-customized machines for people in their catelogue was thinking putting a top of the line chip with SDR and a MX card. I would drop back to like a 1.8 GHz or maybe even a 1.6 GHz to get a better mobo + DDR or something.

But on the other hand.. think of the profit they make.

Duh, the only reason these half-assed companies still exist is because people are dumb...

funnyperson1

ThePerfectCore said:

RDD's system most definently trounces that P4 system. :p

Duh, the only reason these half-assed companies still exist is because people are dumb...

of course it would get crushed by the Dell if Dell had the sense to use 2700 DDR or 1066 RDRAM....remember that a 2400+ is 2GHZ, and RDD only has 1.66GHZ.....

No, I showered
So did he buy a Dimension 2300? Or what? The 2300s aren't even made by Dell I don't think, or not mostly. Dell puts in the drives and memory and probably the CPUs. The MB and chassis and power supply, etc all are made and designed by another company. They also have onboard video (i845GL chipset) and no AGP slot. Yuck.

RoadWarrior

rogerdugans said:
Look on the brighter side- he can't blame you when something goes wrong....as it almost certainly will, eventually!

I dunno, my mother shopping for a PC a long while back, asked me to go look at a "system", it was an Amstrad PCW9512, not a PC, I told her it was crappy without looking at it, she said I should go and see anyway, 3 days later, she brings it home, I hadn't had a chance to actually go into town and see it, and because of that, it was my fault she couldn't do much other than word process on it :rolleyes: Anyway, a month or two later I fixed her up with another Amstrad for real cheap, a turbo XT clone, which she used for a couple of years. At the time for the $$$ she laid out on the PCW, I might have been able to put together a 386 for her, was kinda just after the release of win 3.1 though, and I wasn't into PC hardware much per se. I was an Amiga fan, I did a lot of learning on the 3x Amstrad XTs I got in parts and put one together for her, and on the IBM XT I bought for myself and converted to a 386........

Anyhoo, the point being, that somehow it ended up being my fault after telling someone NOT to buy something, and they did anyway, this has happened more than once. My sister in law just bought another freakin' acer, her old acer was trouble and I kept telling her how it was impossible to upgrade it and not to buy acer again, and now she got another, a P4, I've not actually seen that yet, she said the salesman told her it was upgradeable, yeah right, I told her if it has one PCI or DIMM slot free they'll call it upgradeable. :rolleyes:

I did point her at an Athlon XP system, the one in the flyer she asked me about was the all in one mobo cheapy model and I told her not to get that one, and pointed to the better model, which was $200 more, which she said was too much, but then instead of $1000Can she went and blew $1800 on the Acer :rolleyes:

Still, what do I expect from somone who is still having problems with the distinction between RAM and HDD "memory"

Road Warrior

edit: by the way, somone actually told me once, when I told them not to buy a particular Compaq because it was all in one, very small case etc, "Oh, but you can fix up ANYTHING!..." :D I'll have to stop telling people about installing 400Mhz CPUs in 233Mhz boards, ATX mobos in AT cases, etc etc, or else sooner or later one of my friends will buy a Dell and then I'll have to upgrade it to a 486 ;)

Last edited:

metra

funnyperson1 said:

of course it would get crushed by the Dell if Dell had the sense to use 2700 DDR or 1066 RDRAM....remember that a 2400+ is 2GHZ, and RDD only has 1.66GHZ.....

Yeah thats what i meant. Dells cpu alone is faster than the oced xp1500. Of course when you take into account the sdram (why the hell does it come with that... boggles the mind) then rdd's is probably faster.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
RoadWarrior said:

I told her not to get that one, and pointed to the better model, which was $200 more, which she said was too much, but then instead of $1000Can she went and blew $1800 on the Acer :rolleyes:

dude ACER SUCK, they suck the same amount as Via and Aopen. My friend had an Acer and he constantly got beat up in college for it, only joking i just laughed at his computer really hard every time i was in his house, with his hot sister but that's another story(;) ). Anyway, what was i talking about? oh yeah Acer suck dude they should merge with Via and Aopen to make one craptastic company.
Dell are ok, for lama's, but if you know anything about computers then get a mac, i mean build your own pc.

Tipycol

reddeathdrinker said:
...1 Gigabyte of Memory! (Yeah, but its PC133 SDRAM. That'll choke your system....)...

Didn't know they made P4 SDRAM mobos? I always thought the mobo companies realized that it would bottleneck the system. Guess the wallet is the most important thing in their minds :(