• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 1.6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom kruze

So i think it was my old mobo that was failing me so i went to frys and bought a ecs k7vta3 with duron 1.6 for 49.99. Which in my opinion isnt bad cause i dont really overclock anymore. Duron 1.6 though? never heard of one and it looks just like my xp1700 anyoen know anything about these? are they rebadged 1700's and the fsb is 266. Do they overclock well? anyone thanks

matt

alpha_gamer

I've never even heard of that chip before. I didn't know they were making Durons that powerful. See how far you can push it.

Krowa 02

The new durons are like tbreds with some of their l2 cahce disabled. If it is an A core it wont overclock well, but people have gotten b cores to 2.5 ghz, and they arent to far from tbred performance.

Tyberius

tom, certain steppings of those chips can be modified to unlock that L2 cache if your interested. The Duron hes referring to is an applebred, they are thoroughbred B cores with only 64k l2 cache, which in some case can be unlocked. I think its the last L2 bridge that has to be closed, but dont take my word for it, I would research it a bit more, especially if you even have a core that can do that.

attack

not sure about that particular duron but in the past I've had excellent success with durons and have absolutely nothing negative to say about em. I remember getting a 1 ghz duron for 30 bucks when the cheapest XP's were 60+, and I got mine to a stunning 1.5ghz on water, and FSB of 190 (video card couldn't handle anything higher...it was on an 8k3a), and a 750 at 1.1 So if the durons they make now are anything like the older ones I'd say you've got a hell of a chip and deal!

OP
T

tom kruze

Well after further looking my chip was made the first week in November of this month and most people seem to be getting 2600mhz on 1.6 volt my question is if i up the fsb will the board automatically put the vcore up? anyone know anything about these?

alpha_gamer

I don't think so unless your board has some special feature. You'll have to change your vcore in the BIOS.

Milkman

I was able to hit 2400 pretty easily with mine, i hit 2500 with the L2 cache at 64kb, after enabling it to 256 kb I still got 2450 so pretty sweet little chip IMHO:)

Silent Buddha

Man I never thought Durons were such a steal. I always thought it was only the Thortons that were re-badged Bartons that you could enable the rest of the 256k L2 cache to steal some performance out of them ;) . Wow, I guess I was wrong. Good thing Durons outperform Celerons too.

OP
T

tom kruze

Milkman can you point me to the site that showed how to multi unlock and voltage mod. Also how you got your chip to 256k instead of the 64. Thanks oh and the great thing about this chip is i only paid 23.00 for it. woohoo

Emberghost

So these little Duron B chips would be a great oc'able chip to add to a render farm or folding farm then right? And I guess they are pretty cheap as well.

wolverine I

tom kruze said:
Milkman can you point me to the site that showed how to multi unlock and voltage mod. Also how you got your chip to 256k instead of the 64. Thanks oh and the great thing about this chip is i only paid 23.00 for it. woohoo

your chip is a week 45 and cant be unlocked,the cache or the multi.you can do high fsb with them though,ive had mine to 235.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I bought the same combo for a friend. That board does not have any vcore, but I was able to do a simple jumper move and make it 166 fsb rather than 133. That will give you 2000mhz and I can almost promise you that the chip will do it at stock voltage. With that board, you will need pc2700 memory at least to run at 166...it sets it to that automatically. Good luck.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I just picked up a 1.8 duron. It is a MIUHB. Sound familiar? JIUHB of the durons! Mine will do 2.2 @ stock voltage of 1.5!!!! Killer chip. Also, I can unlock my L2 cache, if I decide to....but I'm debating. I almost always screw up those mods. Anyway, for the price...you can't beat them.

-Collin-

Jarhead7236

just popped a DLV1C MIXHB 0334VPMW in my used epox rda3+ rev 1.0...doing 200x10 @ 1.6 right now...cache not enabled yet nor have i primed yet...i figure it'll probably need more vcore to get prime stable.

EDIT: BTW, i think we can tell it's unlocked.