• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 1000 Temp Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terra Knight

Registered
Well, I'm finally here. I'm a new member with a brand-spankin' new system that I put together last night and I think I've got a problem... some high temp problems.

Well, for starts, the case is closed and the system is idle in BIOS. My room's temperature is about 23*C, which I'll be reducing to 21*C when my rents turn it down! My Mobo temp lies at 28*C and the CPU temp is at 48*C... Is this safe or am I gonna blow something?

My setup is quite simple: two 80mm fans, one at the bottom front and the second at the top back, right underneath my PS. The HSF combo is a Dragon Orb 3, and she's loud, but sound doesn't play a role seen as I'm the only one in this nice basement of mine. Also, my board is an ASUS A7V266-E.

One last thing: the thermal pad was removed and replaced with Arctic Silver II. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. I'm not sure if I should be idle at these temps or not. Thanks.

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

The ASUS MoBos are infamous for wild temp readings due to terrible calibration of the onboard thermistor, that in it's self is an unreliable temp sensor already, so your gonna have to find a better way of finding out temps. Just for fun :D Have you tried holding the DOrb while the system is running? Do the temps drop if you remove the sides of your case?

Well, when I take of my two side panels I drop to 44 to 45*C and with only one off, I go to 45-46*C. What do you mean by holding the Orb, exactly? Hold it steady? Press it down (this would frighten me)?

Last edited:
Terra Knight said:
Well, when I take of my two side panels I drop to 44 to 45*C and with only one off, I go to 45-46*C. What do you mean by holding the Orb, exactly? Hold it steady? Press it down (this would frighten me)?
Well it sounds like you need better case airflow since you did get a drop in temps after removing the panels. What I meant was if the DOrb3 feels hot to the touch;) What voltage are you running that CPU at?

Uh... the Orb feels warm, not burning hot, but well warmed. My voltage is set to 1.75 which is lowest possible setting according to the BIOS.

I was thinking about my intakes and outakes earlier. My front bottom fan intakes and my top back fan outakes (located near the CPU, but not aligned). Also, the PS fan is outake.

i have the same board with a duron 800 @ 1015, i get temps around 45 under load, at 1.725 vcore i beleive this to be high, the most common story is that the asus board reports the temps about 10 C above what they actually are, I am planning on testing this, using this mobo and chip some time soon... but then again, when i remove the side of my case the temps drop only y a degree or 2 so....

Hope that helps

Some good news!

Well, Sonny, I took some of your advise: I increased the airflow in my case and I'm under negative presure (yes, negative) and I'm down to 48*C from 54*C sitting in Windows. When running Unreal Tournament's intro in a loop, I used to get a ballpark of 60*C and now only get a rough 52*C. Not bad if you ask me... Thanks!

Next I'm gonna nibble a bigger fan hole because there's a grid there and blw some air right over my processor. I'm slowly getting this together... then, POSITIVE PRESSURE... AND QUICK! I've got a can of compressed air for those pesky dust-thingies for now.

Thanks again you two. :p

more fans, more fans ith filters, gets rid o dust, you know me, you kno hat I'm talking about.

Put those nibblers to good use.
DIE CASE DIE you saw it, it charged straight at me, it bit me, I cut the gaping wound into it VERY SLOWLY in an act of self defense, I was in danger while it held still for 20 minutes hile I put the hole there. Honest I swear, it attacked me first
yes, MORE FANS, MORE AIRFLOW, QUIETER hsf

Back