• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 850 at stock. Which HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klosters64a

Howdy, virtual friends and neighbors.
I'll have a Duron 850 soon, with an Epox 8KTA3, or more likely, an Iwill KK266 under it.
I really want an UN-overclocked box for a change of pace.
Running a box without any temp monitoring appeals to me.

With this in mind, I'm asking for your opinions of two HSF's. I'll have 100 cfm of case volume throughput. I don't expect to run a cool-ish Duron with 30 cfm throughput!

I have a old PEP-66 that can be relieved of its four feet. Choice of Delta 38 or YSTech 27 cfm 60 mm fan. Obviously, I'd rather not listen to a Delta--been there done...

As the PEP-66 isn't really designed for Socket A use, I'm somewhat reluctant to use it. My quandary: The PAL-6035 is a wuss, compared to a PEP-66. I'm thinking that a 27 cfm 60mm fan on top of it won't cut the mustard.

Unfortunately, I read at Millisec.com-- that the 60mm to 80mm fandapter that Millisec sells(a la HighSpeed PC) isn't PEP-66, and by extension, PAL-6035 compatible.

After more close shaves than I want to admit recently, I just don't want to mess with any GlobalWin Socket A HS. I wrecked a Slocket while in/uninstalling a FOP-38 recently. Worse, after installing a FOP-"92mm" last week, I saw immediate shutdown temps--I doubt that a Duron/T-Bird would have survived!

Does anyone know if the 60mm to 80mm fandapters sold by Overclocker's Hideout will fit a PAL-6035? Or if HighSpeed PC's fandapters fit on PAL-6035's?

I'd like to avoid the expense and weight of the imported 60 to 80mm fandapters that Plycon sells---however, if that's my only option for a PAL-6035...

Jeez, this is a complicated post. SBT!

Go with the pep. If you are willing to buy a hsf get a thermoengine with a YS Tech fan.

Thanks for the advice, William. Think I've decided on the Duron 850 cooling setup. a new "V2"(it means a stronger clip) PAL-6035. One 60-80mm fandapter from Millisec(it's the one that HighSpeed PC sells) and a 42.5 cfm Sunon 80mm. Already have the AS, for small contact area-of course.

Sheesh. $48.50 for cooling a $62.00 processor. Perhaps Atthlons/Durons aren't as cheap as we think they are!

Back