• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMouse

I noticed on anandtech.com that durons kicked celeron butt.
A) why did they do this
B) whats the overclockability of Durons at the moment?
C) what are Duron formula's for clockspeeds? (FSB*MP stuff :) )

Thanks In Advance

The Duron is a great value. It's a lot better than the Celeron and it's cheaper than low end P4's. However, there are a lot of great deals on P4 systems if you aren't building your own. But if you are building your own on a budget, AMD is the only way to go.

I am buying a new system and it has an AthlonXP 2500+ but I was wondering about Durons to see what they do :) they're not my highest point on knowledge.

Durons are not good for games nor are celerons. Both are good for simple word proccessing and web surfing and nice keychains.
For the bad boys we have over 3ghz P4's, EE's, A64's and Fx51's

unix and linux said:
Durons are not good for games nor are celerons. Both are good for simple word proccessing and web surfing and nice keychains.
For the bad boys we have over 3ghz P4's, EE's, A64's and Fx51's

I beg to differ. For a budget system, the Duron can do OK. It won't break records, but it's ok for much more than word processing. However, the Celeron is not very good.

umm, could we sorta go back to the original question pwease :)

Also, HL2 will be out around the same time as longhorn if it don't get its act together so your gonna need your Athlon64 4500+ to play it :p.

You would need atleast a 2500+ and a GOOD videocard to play it at max detail.

Right now i wouldnt invest in ANYTHING! I would definetly wait for the FX53 or the Teja or even the LATE Prescotts which will all have 64 bit which will be a future investment.

Most games are more dependant on a strong video card rather than the CPU, a 1.6Ghz Duron with a Radeon 9800pro would still play games quite nicely.

Durons are quite a nice choice, even if yoi need performance. They overclock extremely well(2.5ghz+ on air) and can be modded to unlock the disabled cache, making them identical in performance to Athlon XP's.

DaMouse said:
I noticed on anandtech.com that durons kicked celeron butt.
A) why did they do this
B) whats the overclockability of Durons at the moment?
C) what are Duron formula's for clockspeeds? (FSB*MP stuff :) )

Thanks In Advance

a) I have no idea.. :(

b) still I'm clueless, but interested to know myself too.. :rolleyes:

c) yeah.. I'm just proving my ignorance here, but I'd like to get these questions ansvered too! :D

My duron 1.4 is the best overclocking chip I have ever seen. I overclocked to 2Ghz, my ram and mobo my limiting factor (I can't change multi's), and I could do it with 1.3 volts. Its awesome. The level 2 cache it loses doesn't hurt it much. It folds a little better than my dad's stock 2500+. It is an awesome processor and dirt cheap too. Don't ever diss durons again!!!! (j/k). Seriously, I think some are really underestimating them. "Duron" just sounds too crappy I think.

the new durons are TB XPs with the cache disabled.if you can get an unlocked cpu,as they are coming out locked too,you can easily
enable the L2 cache reconnecting the bridge,and overclocking to well over 3200+ speeds.mine needs 1.9vcore to get 2350 but it only hits 48C prime95 33-35 idle.

also at $42 a great deal.

Back