• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droban

I was planning on getting a DVD Burner and I was wondering what the different formats mean and most importantly will the dvds play in my home dvd players? Do different formats not work with certain dvd players? My dvd player is slightly older so I would like to know. Thanks.

polarys425

most of those questions can only be answered by trying to see what works and what doesnt.

and yes, some players will only play certain formats.

my suggestion is to get a dual format burner, as it will greatly increase your odds of being able to burn dvds that will work in your home player.

Freelancer071

Registered
I was planning on getting a DVD Burner and I was wondering what the different formats mean and most importantly will the dvds play in my home dvd players? Do different formats not work with certain dvd players? My dvd player is slightly older so I would like to know. Thanks.

Yes, you can play the DVDs in your home DVD player, HOWEVER:
Both (the burner and the player) MUST support this.

Allow me to explain:
All DVD players support DVD-Video. This stands for the DVDs that you purchase from a retail store or borrow from a video store.

With a DVD burner you can record these formats: DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM.
So if you want to watch your home-made DVDs on your player, the player must support at least one of these formatts.

I personally have been using LG's GSA-4040B DVD multiformat recorder, which supports all of the above formats. I use DVD-R for my DVDs, because DVD-R discs tend to playback best in most of the DVD players.
So if my DVD player would only support DVD+R, I would record on DVD+R discs.

I recommend that you check out dvdrhelp.com. This page has tons of info on these formats and a good forum.
Most importantly, they also feature a DVD writer database, where users can post their experiences with DVD burners. It's a great asses, when you're deciding on which DVD burner to buy.

Good luck with your DVD burning adventures :)

Quick69GTO

Buying a multi-format DVD recorder is a good suggestion.
It does basically boil down to experimentation. Stand alone home DVD players can be somewhat finicky on what formats it will play. DVD-R is the most compatible.
I have a Pioneer A06 multi-format DVD recorder in my system which is serving me well.
My surround system in the living room uses a Pioneer DV-C503 five disc DVD/CD player which seems to have no problems playing all flavors of DVDs.
I also have an Apex AD-1200 in the bedroom that seems to only want to play DVD-R discs.
You will just have to buy a multi-format DVD recorder and see what flavors of DVDs your stand alone players will play.
Software suggestions would be to use DVD X Copy, although the disclaimer it puts on the beginning of the disc kinda sucks. I use Clone DVD or DVD Fab with Any DVD running in the back ground.
Works every time for me.
Good luck!:D