• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD drive question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziah

i dont have a dvd drive yet and was thinking about getting the sony DU1621 16/40 dvd drive. really the only reason is because i have a sony cdr and the faceplates will match nicely (and swapping the green led for a white one is really easy as i have allready done it with the cdr). i have read alot of reviews for it and it seems it was a nice unit for win98 and win2k but i hear it does not work with xp well (which i run (XPpro)). even if you look on ebay and pricewatch no one mentions xp but they do say requires 98 or 2k. anyone have this drive or have any ideas on incompatabilities??

thanks,

~z

Check out Sony's website and look up information on the drive. There may be a driver update or something to get it to work with XP. There's really no reason it shouldn't work.

The Revelation said:
There's really no reason it shouldn't work.

I second that, there's hardly any difference between w2k and XP in the kernel and application layer (w2k is NT 5.0 and XP is NT 5.2 ;) )... and since drives operate off firmware ROMs, it's even less likely that a specific 32bit OS would have problems with a specific 32bit compatible drive. Sony drives, on the other hand, typically stink. I only recommend their stereo and television equipment, Sony PC components are not the best IMO.

The problems you've read about are probably more coincidence than epidemic.

Last edited:
no xp specific drivers available. also try finding any info on the drive on sony.com!! its an oem drive so there really is none. any one out there have this drive?

thanks

~z

i've got that drive, works fine with XP. All in all its a nice drive but its region locked. But you can easily flash your way around that.

Back