• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wired14

Hello

My case has only 3 5.25'' bays and all of them are full with a cd rom, cd burner and a fan controler with display for temps ...... Now, i want to get a dvd burner but there is no empty bay. Is there any other way to install it?

Bobby

Why not pull the cd rom? Both the burner and any dvd drive will be able to read cd's too.

-Bobby

OP
W

wired14

thats true but will i be able to boot from the cd burner or the dvd drive in case i need to reformat some day or not? And if i do what you suggest should i install the dvd as master? the cd burner is slave right now

Bobby

Yep, I boot from my cd burner. I have a DVD drive and CD burner. It really doesn't matter which is master and which is slave. Just make sure the master is physically at the end of the cable.

-Bobby

OP
W

wired14

i just placed a bid on ebay on a mad dog dvd rom

i have seen lots of mad dog cd burners and and dvd drives on comp usa and best buy and i read a review on a website about them. it was pretty good but i did not bookmark the page :(

Bobby

wired14 said:

what brands for dvd do you prefer?

The drives are in my sig ;)

I chose the Toshiba drive because it was the fastest cd drive and had better access times. It's not a burner though.

-Bobby

wpmegee

If you don't mind spending a little more, get the Optorite DDO-401 8x burner. It's $155 at Newegg. Santa brought mine yesterday love it so far. Also burns CDs at 40x

I haven't tried burning any DVDs yet-don't have any media.

Quick69GTO

I prefer the Pioneer A06 (or 106B).
It is set to master above a Lite-On 32X burner.
My system will boot to whichever one the disc is in.

ptwearnhardtfan

wpmegee said:
If you don't mind spending a little more, get the Optorite DDO-401 8x burner. It's $155 at Newegg. Santa brought mine yesterday love it so far. Also burns CDs at 40x

I haven't tried burning any DVDs yet-don't have any media.

This drive is extremely slow for an 8X. Maximum PC reviewed it and didn't have much praise for it.